PDA

View Full Version : How Do i convert MP3 to .asx?

inf4m0us
11-14-2004, 11:11 AM
I was wondering how do I convert mp3 files to .asx? I know its an odd question to ask, it's usually the other way around. I've tried to programs from download.com, but none of them worked! (or they were VERY difficult to use). Can someone help me?

Wayne
11-15-2004, 08:20 AM
I think you'll find that .asx is not an actual audio file format, instead it is a meta data file. Try searching the forum for .asx as this question has been asked before.

Wayne

ChristinaS
11-15-2004, 09:40 AM
I was wondering how do I convert mp3 files to .asx? I know its an odd question to ask, it's usually the other way around. I've tried to programs from download.com, but none of them worked! (or they were VERY difficult to use). Can someone help me?
Why would you need that?

.asx is a meta-file, used for streaming media through Windows Media Player.
It can be used to make a playlist for streaming.

Are you maybe looking at creating .asf files? Or .wma or .wmv files?

You can also include mp3's in an .asx file.

Refer to http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4992 in the FAQ section of the dMC forum.

Unregistered
11-15-2004, 02:39 PM
its for my xanga, i have webspace, but it will take too long to download. asx files are veyr small, yet quality is very nice for the size. I've checked some xanga music sites, but the song i want isn't on any of them :(

inf4m0us
11-15-2004, 08:08 PM
i searched for the .asx files on this forum. i found what they were, but by using the notepad code, i need the actual mp3 file in webspace, and apply the notepad code to the mp3 file? thus making the song smaller? sorry if this reply sounds kinda whack, im retarded when it comes to altering codes and such

xoas
11-15-2004, 08:52 PM
For a kind of primer on creating asx files, you might try this thread here:
http://cita.rehab.uiuc.edu/mediaplayer/asx-overview.html

Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

ChristinaS
11-15-2004, 10:20 PM
i searched for the .asx files on this forum. i found what they were, but by using the notepad code, i need the actual mp3 file in webspace, and apply the notepad code to the mp3 file? thus making the song smaller? sorry if this reply sounds kinda whack, im retarded when it comes to altering codes and such
You're not making the song smaller at all. By playing the .asx file instead of the mp3 or whatever media file type your song is, it will stream rather than be downloaded before being played, and so it's faster.

Does your xanga (what the heck is that, a kind of blog ???) allow media files to be stored on site? where would you store it otherwise?

BTW, Bill, that primer is incomplete from what I see. An .asx file can reference any media files that Windows Media Player can play, audio or video alike. It was originally designed for WIndows Media types, but it evolved.

inf4m0us
11-16-2004, 09:41 PM
lol, what an absurd question to a teenager! lol, xanga, is like a livejournal, and yes like you said a blog. No it does not allow me to store files on the site. The webspace i use is provided by my ISP. But what i don't understand about .asx files is that, the ones i downloaded from the net arent even 1kb. more like 300 bytes. That barely takes up any space, people download the song in a snap. Thats why i want to make/convert a song that i like into that same format/way of downloading the song. Rather then haveing people wait a minute or two to download a song.

ChristinaS
11-16-2004, 11:40 PM
lol, what an absurd question to a teenager! lol, xanga, is like a livejournal, and yes like you said a blog. No it does not allow me to store files on the site. The webspace i use is provided by my ISP. But what i don't understand about .asx files is that, the ones i downloaded from the net arent even 1kb. more like 300 bytes. That barely takes up any space, people download the song in a snap. Thats why i want to make/convert a song that i like into that same format/way of downloading the song. Rather then haveing people wait a minute or two to download a song.
What you downloaded from the web is precisely the kind of meta file I am talking about. A little text file that only contains a reference to the actual audio file, not the audio file itself. That one still resides somewhere on the web at the address given in the .asx file.

inf4m0us
11-17-2004, 09:13 PM
oooo!!!!!! i get it now!! ty!