PDA

View Full Version : How would I change multiple file paths at one time?

Ayla
11-12-2004, 01:16 AM
I have been converting midi's for a long time....Or at least long to me. I have been converting them from one computer and sliding them onto this one as wavs. In doing this, I had been putting the files in a music folder under My Documents just so that it would be easy to navigate to as each set of twenty was ready for transfer.

I am almost finished now, and just realized that the last place I want these songs is where they are easily found. I have kids and no matter how strong the password is, they get into my systems. They'd wind up deleting the tracks. So I want to move them all onto the C Drive in the "My Music Folder."

Now these are midi's and as such, have no regular tag. It has to be created in the Music Collection area. From the way it looks, the tag doesn't stick onto the file itself, only the way the file is listed in the Music Collection area. Otherwise, I'd just move all of the files, delete the old playlist and add in the new playlist.

When I highlight more than one file at a time and click on Edit Tag, I get the very first screen that has the artist/title, genre stuff on it. If I click on only one file and highlight it, Edit Tag, then I also get a second page. This page looks to be like a notepad file that you can edit. In there is a file location spot. It appears as though the location of the file can be edited there so that Power Amp knows where to find the file at when you play it.

Is there a way that I can change all the file paths at one time instead of one at a time? I've read all the backposts and can't seem to find anything on it. I don't want to lose all of the tags I've created as those are a lot of tags! To redo all of them, artist/title/genre would take up another day. Yes, folks. Laziness at it's finest. :teufel8:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ayla

xoas
11-12-2004, 06:29 AM
You can just move your folders. The address for each file will be updated automatically. Or is this not happening for you? (Or were you asking something else?).

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

DO NOT TRY THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE POST BELOW!
You may run into trouble with MMC if you move files with tracks already in MMC to a different location. If your tracks are in MMC, remove them from MMC, then move the tracks and then re-add them to MMC.

xoas
11-12-2004, 07:34 AM
You can just move your folders. The address for each file will be updated automatically
If you have these files and folders loaded in your My Music Collection (MMC) with the dB PowerAMP Audio Player (dAP), HOLD OFF DOING THIS for a little while. The tag information on the pop-up tag in Windows Explorer will be automatically updated. The tag as it appears in MMC apparently does not. So if you are in a hurry to move thos folders it might make more sense to remove the tracks from MMC, move the folders and reload them into MMC after the move.
I have been discovering problems arising from MMC when I have moved files that were already on MMC. You would prefer to avoid these (I assure you). There ought to be an elegant solution but right now I don't have the time to work on it. I'll let you know later what I can find out.

xoas
11-12-2004, 09:25 PM
If your tracks have not been added to your My Music Collection, you can simply move the folders, no problem.

If your tracks are all in your Music Collection you can move them by selecting the Collection button at the top of the MMC window, selecting Music Collection and selecting Arrange Files. From there you can move and reorganize ALL the tracks in MMC to a root folder of your choosing and in a file arrangement you can define based on track information.

If you move folders containing files which have been added to MMC the detail tag information will be updated but MMC will not be able to locate the file and attempts to play the track or to access the details information in MMC will result in MMC crashing and dAP giving you an error message indicating it cannot play the file.

If you use the Arrange Files option, this will only handle ALL of the files in MMC. So if you only wanted some of them organized in this way, I think you will have to remove them from MMC, move the folders to where you want them, and then add them to MMC again.

So there is a more elegant option but it only works for the whole MMC. It would be very nice if MMC could do the Arrange Files just for selected artists/albums/folders/tracks.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Ayla
11-12-2004, 10:57 PM
If your tracks have not been added to your My Music Collection, you can simply move the folders, no problem.

If your tracks are all in your Music Collection you can move them by selecting the Collection button at the top of the MMC window, selecting Music Collection and selecting Arrange Files. From there you can move and reorganize ALL the tracks in MMC to a root folder of your choosing and in a file arrangement you can define based on track information.

If you move folders containing files which have been added to MMC the detail tag information will be updated but MMC will not be able to locate the file and attempts to play the track or to access the details information in MMC will result in MMC crashing and dAP giving you an error message indicating it cannot play the file.

If you use the Arrange Files option, this will only handle ALL of the files in MMC. So if you only wanted some of them organized in this way, I think you will have to remove them from MMC, move the folders to where you want them, and then add them to MMC again.

So there is a more elegant option but it only works for the whole MMC. It would be very nice if MMC could do the Arrange Files just for selected artists/albums/folders/tracks.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

I wound up doing something a little differently. I noticed that the wav files were taking up about eight gigs of room so decided to convert to mp3. When I did that, I just had the output go to the folder I wanted it in. :)

Also figured out how to change the tags so that they would stick. After editing the tag, right click on the track, go to advanced and choose rewrite ID tag. You can edit them all, and then rewrite the tags all at once to save time.

This way, if I need to remove the tracks from mmc for what ever reason, when I put them back in, the id tags will still be there.