PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to

savagcl
11-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Use the headphones jack from a device (not connected to the PC) as a line-in
to a sound card and then record the sound?

I've been looking all over for a cd-player\cassette player with a line-out (for a
reasonable price) but have had no luck at all (except for bad luck that is). :smile2:

thanks,
savagcl :smile2:

xoas
11-11-2004, 08:22 AM
You can do this but it is not as good as it would be if it had a line out for speakers. As I understand this, headhones generally use a weaker signal strength than speakers. You can compensate by turning up the gain (volume boost on the recording end) but this risks accentuating noise as well as signal. Best would be a cassette player that feeds directly into your stereo system (and you would use your systems line-out). Next best might be a cassette player with a line out. I have a Panasonic model at work that has a line-output. You might not find this feature in a pocket size cassette player. Perhaps another forum participant might have some recommendations.

Hope this helps,
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

ChristinaS
11-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Use the headphones jack from a device (not connected to the PC) as a line-in
to a sound card and then record the sound?

I've been looking all over for a cd-player\cassette player with a line-out (for a
reasonable price) but have had no luck at all (except for bad luck that is). :smile2:

thanks,
savagcl :smile2:
Well, from what I've heard from others because I haven't tried it yet myself (next project :p ), yes and no. Yes, you can plug them in and you'll probably get something out through them. No, because they don't have a pre-amplifier (I think that was the problem as explained to me in a nutshell, or what I retained of it) so whatever you get out through the headphones jack is probably going to sound awful like coming out of a sqwack box.

In fact you can (and should) try it (if you already have a walkman-type of cassette player) and just listening through the sound card and the pc speakers you can tell if it's any good or not. Some of those players used to have a line-out jack, I guess that's gone out with the dodo bird.

If you have a sound sysem, even a bookshelf one, that has a working cassette player (and radio/amp), you will probably find a line-out from the amp component (maybe at the back). If the system isn't all beat up, this may work OK. Of course you'll have to install it next to your pc close enough so the wires can reach.

I have one of those mini-systems and I'm thinking perhaps a walkman-type cassette player can be plugged in from its headphone jack into the microphone jack of this bookshelf system and the line-out from it can go to the line-in of the soundcard. It may still be terrible though. Worth a try if the sound comes out ok from the system first.

However when I do decide to copy my tapes to the pc, I will be trying it with the ancient sound system I've had for ages which I no longer use except in the basement, that has separate components for receiver, cassette player/recorder and turntable alll plugged into an amplifier which feeds the speakers. The turntable broke down ages ago so it was eventually replaced by an early model cd playe, plugged into the amp through the AUX-IN jacks. I'll do this one day assuming I actually feel like taking my pc apart and installing it all next to the monster sound sysem, that is :D Doesn't everybody of a certain age (ahem, ahem) have one of those lying about the house somewhere?

savagcl
11-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Good Morning (at it is here),

Thanks for the info.
Actually i dont have anything with a line out right now, nada. I'm trying to
locate one tho. I did borrow a player from my buddy to record some cassettes
a while ago but its a monster to drag about and its 18 years old, made in Germany,
still works good.

There are many small cd\cassette combos made these days but not one i've
looked has a line-out. Need to keep looking i guess.

Haven't really been involved in music since the late seventies.
Movie: Last Boy Scout (Bruce Willis), quote: "Want to hear me scream, play
some RAP music" end quote. :smile2:

Thanks for the info and have a great day,
savagcl

PS: lots of techie terms to learn.

ChristinaS
11-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Good Morning (at it is here),

Thanks for the info.
Actually i dont have anything with a line out right now, nada. I'm trying to
locate one tho. I did borrow a player from my buddy to record some cassettes
a while ago but its a monster to drag about and its 18 years old, made in Germany,
still works good.

There are many small cd\cassette combos made these days but not one i've
looked has a line-out. Need to keep looking i guess.

Haven't really been involved in music since the late seventies.
Movie: Last Boy Scout (Bruce Willis), quote: "Want to hear me scream, play
some RAP music" end quote. :smile2:

Thanks for the info and have a great day,
savagcl

PS: lots of techie terms to learn.
Ah, one solution: GARAGE SALE !

My book-shelf system has an exit for surround sound which may or may not work as a line-out. My boombox radio/cd/casseete has only got headphone jack, so that probably won't work any better.

My cousin picked up a full monster sound system (cca 1975) at a garage sale lately for the princely sum of $50. Some components even work :smile2: It's about on par with our basement one, which, if I remember correctly, had cost my husband about $2000 back in those days, roughly 4-months' wages at the time, not counting the "new" speakers (the original ones just weren't big enough and wouldn't quite bring down a cathedral ;) ) that came a bit later at $400 a pop (huge amounts for the 70's). Of course, he wasn't my husband back then :p or he'd have never dared spend all that money on THAT! :p

savagcl
11-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Christina,

Sounds like "The Taming of The Shrew", only in reverse.

clif

ChristinaS
11-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Christina,

Sounds like "The Taming of The Shrew", only in reverse.

clif
He-he! :lustig1:

savagcl
11-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Optical Digital Output??????????
Definition?

Stilll looking for a mini stereo system with a line-out..

Ah, well, i got nothing better to do on a rainy day.

clif

ChristinaS
11-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Optical Digital Output??????????
Definition?

Stilll looking for a mini stereo system with a line-out..

Ah, well, i got nothing better to do on a rainy day.

clif
Optical Digital Output is a special class of output jacks for hi-fi recordings. The devices all have to be equipped with them an you use special (read pricey) cables for that. One particular type of this is called S/PDIF and the corresponding optical fibre cable is referred to as Toslink.

I use S/PDIF & Toslink to transfer from an 8-track digital home recording console (Roland Boss BR-8 http://www.blamepro.com/mwn/br8.htm ) to my PC's soundcard. The Toslink connects from the 8-track console S/PDIF OUT to my soundcard's S/PDIF IN.

savagcl
11-11-2004, 09:22 PM
So, if i can find a system with optical digital output (and get the right cables)
i could use it as an input to my sound cards S/PDIF input?

AND (theres always an "AND")

Since i'm inputting digital, but have analog speakers, the sound card would do a conversion to analog?
Sorry, i know i'm stretching here.

clif

ChristinaS
11-11-2004, 09:55 PM
So, if i can find a system with optical digital output (and get the right cables)
i could use it as an input to my sound cards S/PDIF input?

AND (theres always an "AND")

Since i'm inputting digital, but have analog speakers, the sound card would do a conversion to analog?
Sorry, i know i'm stretching here.

clif
Yes, don't worry about the digital vs analog bit. WAV is analog anyway.

A system system with optical output (S/PDIF) would be pretty expensive though. Just the cable (luckily you only need one :D ) is about $40 if my memory serves me right. Much cheaper to find a sound system with line-out I think.

savagcl
11-11-2004, 10:03 PM
I have spent the last 2 days looking for a mini or shelf system with a line-out.
Well, except for chow, latrine breaks and a little sleep that is.
They dont exist, they're extinct, gone with the dinosaurs i guess.

So, i'll start looking for a sound sys with the optical digital output. I'm sure i
saw some of those albiet at an increased price.

Thanks for clarifying, Christina.
clif
PS: Do you sleep next to your pc? :smile2:

ChristinaS
11-11-2004, 10:11 PM
I have spent the last 2 days looking for a mini or shelf system with a line-out.
Well, except for chow, latrine breaks and a little sleep that is.
They dont exist, they're extinct, gone with the dinosaurs i guess.

So, i'll start looking for a sound sys with the optical digital output. I'm sure i
saw some of those albiet at an increased price.

Thanks for clarifying, Christina.
clif
PS: Do you sleep next to your pc? :smile2:
I don't sleep :D

ChristinaS
11-11-2004, 10:19 PM
You may want to check on eBay, for instance http://electronics.listings.ebay.com/Home-Audio_Cassette-Decks_W0QQfromZR4QQsacategoryZ48645QQsocmdZListing ItemList . many there going for low prices. Have you bought anything on eBay until now?
If you're not comfortable with bidding look for Buy It Now items and be done.
You'll also need a PayPal account, but that's easy enough to set up, though it may take a bit long to get confirmation of it.

I'd not rush to get any fancy stuff just to worry about cassettes, which themselves may be poor quality anyway.

savagcl
11-11-2004, 10:41 PM
No, never bought anything from e-bay, looked at the site several times for tools
tho.
Not a member of pay-pal either, never had the need. Idont mind bidding but the
buy-it-now seems more effecient, if more costly.

I have tracked a few tools to its source and found that it came from a store.
At that point, it just seemed to be reasonable to order from the store direct.
Many times the price was the same as on e-bay.
Will stumble through the e-bay - audio and see if i can locate something.

I'm not to worried about cassettes, occasionally i will run across a tape that
will have something i want. So their just an extra added attraction for me.

If i find something that meets what i want, i'll let you know.

thanks,
getting close to my nap time.
clif

savagcl
11-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Ok, one more.

Searched Home Audio on e-bay for:
line-out
line out
optical digital
aux-out
aux out

got 3 hits, nothing close to what i'm looking for but it was
worth a try.

thanks,
clif

ChristinaS
11-12-2004, 01:21 AM
Ok, one more.

Searched Home Audio on e-bay for:
line-out
line out
optical digital
aux-out
aux out

got 3 hits, nothing close to what i'm looking for but it was
worth a try.

thanks,
clif
When you see a standalone amplifier (for a stre system, not a PA system) it will have line-in and line-out. The cassette deck will also have line-in and line-out. The amplifier will also usually have aux-in. Aux-out is I think meaningless. Any out is an in somewhere.

Don't bother looking fro optical digital in the same breath.