PDA

View Full Version : m4p to mp3, wma

TWBrien
11-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the audio conversion thing and have a (i hope) simple question.

I know that the itunes music store downloads songs in the protected m4p format. Now is there any way to use dbpoweramp music converter to turn that m4p into a wma or mp3 file? I've got a muvo tx fm and it can't play the m4p file type (as far as I know) Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if I posted this question in the wrong area I humbly apologize. :smile2:

Regards,

Tim

xoas
11-08-2004, 08:11 PM
dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) cannot decode m4p files.
There are at least 3 programs which participants have recommended for converting m4p files (usually to m4a which dMC can decode). You will find links to these programs here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showpost.php?p=25668&postcount=2

Once you have converted the file to m4a you should then be able to use dMC to convert the file to WMA or mp3 (you will need to download the AAC/MP4 decoder codec to be able to convert the m4a file, and the wma codec if you want to convert to WMA, these can be found at Codec Central). We have had occasional reports of difficulties with being able to convert these m4a files, which may be related to Apple's habit of trying to thwart efforts to break their digital rights management efforts. But here we mostly hear about the problem cases.

The other strategy open to you is to play your m4p tracks in iTunes or other player (RealPlayer may be able to play them, but you may need a plug-in). If you can play the file then you should be able to record the file to a format of your choice using dBpowerAMP Auxilary Input. You can information on how to do this in the FAQ section for dMC in this Forum.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen