PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Auxiliary Input VOLUME

Unregistered
10-27-2004, 12:12 AM
I connected my cassette deck to the Line-In jack on my PC and was able to encode to mp3. The VU meter is registering the maximum, and there is nothing on the tape deck to lower the output volume. The VU meter is unaffected when I click on the Red volume scale. I read the Auxiliary Input Help file, installed with the program:

C:\ProgramFiles\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Help\
dMC\AuxiliaryInput\help.htm

PLEASE HELP!

ChristinaS
10-27-2004, 12:23 AM
DId you go through the selection mechanism in Volume Controls (bullhorn in task bar)? You have to select the input source for recording (see options) and enable Stereo mix down (or what u hear), or line-in but not both, with the volume slider only about 2/3 of the way up. All other sources of input should be unchecked.
Make sure you have no other sources of noise, like email or messenger notifications because they too get recorded.

Craze
10-27-2004, 10:24 PM
I connected my cassette deck to the Line-In jack on my PC and was able to encode to mp3. The VU meter is registering the maximum, and there is nothing on the tape deck to lower the output volume. The VU meter is unaffected when I click on the Red volume scale. I read the Auxiliary Input Help file, installed with the program:

C:\ProgramFiles\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Help\
dMC\AuxiliaryInput\help.htm

PLEASE HELP!
Just wondering. Which output are you using from your tape deck?
The Line Out jacks are quite a bit hotter signal-wise than the headphones jack and can create the condition you are describing.

If your tape deck has no headphone jack, then you're pretty much forced to use the Line Outs. You might try turning down the Line Input on your Master Volume control mixer to almost nothing and see what kind of level you get from the Line In (or the other controls Christina suggested) of the Recording mixer.
One of my decks actually is affected by that control while the other is not.

If that doesn't help you can control the output signal to your PC with a second deck. Yeah, I know it sounds drastic. But sometimes one has to work with the equipment they've got. That would help in decreasing the level down to something you can control from your PC.
Just a thought. Good luck.
-Craze

Unregistered
10-28-2004, 02:38 AM
Thank you both for your quick responses! I did go through the bullhorn on the taskbar, and I in fact did one click above silent; that seemed to make the volume fall mostly around 'optimal' (sometimes over). Next I will try 'Stereo Mix' (I think I did try that before without success) and connect the tape deck to the amplifier which does have a headphone jack. Before this problem with distorion, I was dealing with the line-in falling way BELOW 'optimal', as I had the tape deck output to the amplifier, and the amplifier going to the pc line-in (I thought the amp would boost the signal but I got a tiny green bar on the VU meter). I'll keep pluggin away. Thanks again, guys!

vsj001
12-11-2005, 10:26 AM
try reducing input signal strength thro' Conrol Panel>Multimedia options

LtData
12-11-2005, 01:32 PM
See below for help: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=47247*post47247