PDA

View Full Version : Is Professional Frequency Conversion recommended?

Unregistered
10-25-2004, 12:37 AM
When using dMC to rip an audio CD (44,100Hz) to .mp3 format (also 44,100Hz) is there any advantage to checking the box for Professional Frequency Conversion (Better sounding, but slower)?
I thought that slower was better when encoding, but does checking this box for this particular conversion create better sounding .mp3s, or simply slow down the encoding process?
Thanks.

xoas
10-25-2004, 04:48 AM
I usually use Professional Frequency conversion. I am not sure that I would say it makes tracks sound noticeabley better for the conversion you describe. Where it is really useful is where you are doing conversions to different frequencies or different number of channels (say from 48000 Hz wav to 44,100 Hz mp3). In these circumstances, Professonal Frequency Conversion makes a difference-sometimes the difference is between success and failure of your conversion.

I don't think you would detect a difference but you could always try ripping a few tracks with and again without Professional Frequency Conversion to see whether you find a difference.

As far as you other question, I am not really into try to convert as quickly as possible but my observation is that there are really three converting speeds: too fast, fast enough, and slower than you need to be. I do not mind whatever extra time Professional Frequency Conversion adds to the process although some might. So for me I guess Music Converter with Professional Frequency Conversion is fast enough while for others it might qualify as slower than you need to be.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Spoon
10-25-2004, 02:40 PM
>audio CD (44,100Hz) to .mp3 format (also 44,100Hz) is there any advantage to checking the box for Professional Frequency Conversion

It will not be used in that instance.

Razgo
10-25-2004, 02:52 PM
i dont rememember where i read it but i am pretty sure professional frequency is only for wav files.

edit/ here is the info http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=3874&highlight=professional+frequency

Spoon
10-25-2004, 04:36 PM
There are a few codecs that have it built in also (newest ogg spings to mind).

Unregistered
10-28-2004, 01:01 AM
Thanks for your response(s) and another thumbs up for both the dBpowerAMP product and the support... it's gotta be one of the best things I ever got for free!

daren
02-13-2007, 12:10 PM
MP2 & BWFMP2 (new and old), AIFF and Dalet codecs all use professional frequency conversion, by the way.

Best regards,
Daren.

mcompton69
03-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks for your response(s) and another thumbs up for both the dBpowerAMP product and the support... it's gotta be one of the best things I ever got for free!

If it is so good, do you think it is worth parting with a few £/$/€/etc. for this great product? :smile2:

I do, so I bought it. :komisch12