PDA

View Full Version : Converting groups of files to mp3pro

Unregistered
10-16-2004, 03:11 AM
How can I get dMC to enable the "code original file length" option in the Thomson encoder when batch processing a live CD or folder full of .wavs?

xoas
10-16-2004, 09:48 AM
dMC automatically displays similar tag information for any conversion. At least for single files, it will generate the same results as the Thompson RCA encoder. I presume that this is the case for batch conversions as well. Is this what you are asking about?

I have noticed that some trial conversions I have done encoding mp3PRO from dMC and from the Thompson encoder both display altered tag information regarding original file length in cases where the original wav is 44.1 khz and the mp3Pro file is encoded at 22.05 khz. This is also true if converting mp3 at 44.1 khz to mp3PRO with dMC. Presumably, in all of these cases files are being converted to wav at 22.05 khz. before being converted to mp3PRO.

Don't know if this addresses your question or not. If it does not, please let us know and we will see if we can provide you a better response.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Unregistered
10-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Bill, but I'm as confused as ever. Let me restate my question in more detail than I was able to manage in the wee hours of the other morning and maybe it will make more sense...

I'm trying to eliminate the short silence between tracks that results when I rip a live CD (or convert a bunch of live .wavs) to mp3pro with dMC. I heard somewhere (I forget just where) that the gaps are an artifact of the mp3 encoding technology, but that the Thompson encoder has an option "code original file length" that can be enabled to prevent them. Now, the Thompson encoder starts with this option disabled by default and you must check a box before converting to enable it. This means that when dMC calls the Thompson encoder during a CD rip or batch conversion of .wavs, the option is not enabled and none of the tracks are coded "to original file length." My original question was how do I configure dMC to tell the Thompson encoder to enable this option at the beginning of a rip or batch conversion.

I could be asking the wrong question, I guess. Maybe I should ask "Is it possible to rip a live CD or convert a bunch of live .wavs to mp3pro with dMC and not end up with gaps between tracks?"

If I can find a satisfactory solution I will take the plunge and register, and no longer have to sign myself

Unregistered

xoas
10-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Sorry about the misunderstanding.
If what you heard is correct:

I heard somewhere (I forget just where) that the gaps are an artifact of the mp3 encoding technology, but that the Thompson encoder has an option "code original file length" that can be enabled to prevent them.
I am really not sure about this issue. I can say that if I convert a wav file to Mp3Pro through dMC, I get a file that is exactly the same size as the same wav file converted to Mp3Pro through the Thompson Encoder with "Code Original File Length" enabled.
Whether either file is gapless, I could not say. You perhaps could try and compare. If the Thompson encoder with "Code Original File Length" enabled is gapless, and if Mp3Pro encoded through dMC is not, you could always encode through the Thompson encoder.
On the other hand, we have had discussions about trying to create gapless mp3 files and I do not recall mention of mp3Pro having this feature, so I could not personally guarantee that you can create a gapless file through Mp3Pro or that you cannot do so.
Perhaps another user would have some insight on this issue.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen