PDA

View Full Version : make individual tracks from complete album

Unregistered
10-13-2004, 12:15 AM
I have a lot of complete albums that I've acquired through P2P sharing, so they're already in mp3 format. My question is how do I make individual tracks from the complete albums? I searched the site and found the following:

"Auxiliary Input is so smart it can automatically chop a recording up into the correct tracks from an album. 100% Free, can be downloaded from [dMC page here]."

I d/led Auxiliary Input but I'm not sure (a) if it's the right program for what I want to do; and (b) how to use it -- I looked at it and it didn't have a "help" button.

Let me know if I need to give you any other info so you can answer this question, and thanks in advance for your advice!

Lainie

ChristinaS
10-13-2004, 12:22 AM
I have a lot of complete albums that I've acquired through P2P sharing, so they're already in mp3 format. My question is how do I make individual tracks from the complete albums? I searched the site and found the following:

"Auxiliary Input is so smart it can automatically chop a recording up into the correct tracks from an album. 100% Free, can be downloaded from [dMC page here]."

I d/led Auxiliary Input but I'm not sure (a) if it's the right program for what I want to do; and (b) how to use it -- I looked at it and it didn't have a "help" button.

Let me know if I need to give you any other info so you can answer this question, and thanks in advance for your advice!

Lainie

There's no help button, but there's a help file - find it in Start>dBpowerAMP Music Converter > Help > dMC Auxiliary Help.

What you need is achievable through the Auto Start and Auto End settings for automatic detection of start and end of each song. But the conversion will take as long as it takes to play the entire mp3 file.

Wayne
10-13-2004, 05:06 AM
To split an mp3 file into individual tracks you can use dMC Auxiliary Input to record (and split) the music by recording "what you hear", whilst listening to the file being played by a program like dAP.

It is not the only solution. Audacity is another free program which can be used to split an mp3 file into individual sections, however the process is manual.

Wayne

Craze
10-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Just a heads up tip.

You might do well to do some preliminary testing using either Aux Input or Audacity for this purpose. I wouldn't necessarily be quick to replace the existing files with either until I did some testing first.

Spoon's Help page for Aux Input is an excellent source for how to use it. But I've had problems with Aux Input Auto Start/Auto End feature if there is no gap between some tracks. I've also had the beginning and end of tracks chopped as the process didn't seem to capture the first or last second of a track in the Auto mode. (And that's probably an error on my part of something I missed). :o
I usually do everything manually and save it to a different folder until I'm sure. You can always delete things later.
Audacity preference defaults at 128Kbps until you set it up for the bitrate that you want. Noticed this after editing several recordings I'd made from tape. By the time I had noticed it, I'd replaced a lot of the existing files that were originally captured at 192Kbps and had to go back and start over. :(

Hope this is helpful.
-Craze

Unregistered
10-13-2004, 04:14 PM
A big thank you to all of you who responded so quickly and with such good information!

I haven't had a chance to try any of this out yet, but when I do, I'll leave a note here saying what works, what doesn't, etc. so others can have the benefit of my success (or failure?!) :-)

Thanks again,
Lainie