PDA

View Full Version : Burning mp3s to CDs

Unregistered
07-18-2002, 10:27 PM
Bear with me, I have some newbie questions...

Using db Auxiliary Input, I ripped several of my tapes to mp3s. I had no problems with this, but when I try to burn them to CDs using ahead Nero Burning ROM software, they cause an error and the CD-R quickly becomes a toaster. The Nero software has worked fine burning from CDs and other data files. What it seems to do is split the mp3 into several pieces before it crashes...

Any ideas as to why this might have occurred? I did not know whether to rip them to mp3 or wav. I guess wav is better? Also, I used a pretty high, apparently variable, bit rate. Could the VBR be causing the problem with the burning?

What settings would you recommend for ripping songs from tapes? I want them to be the best quality they can be.

Thanks for the help!

Spoon
07-19-2002, 02:35 AM
Are you creating a standard audio CD or a mp3 CD?

MODatic
07-19-2002, 07:26 AM
I've never had problems with Nero and burning audio CDs. One thing I always make sure I do is that the source files that are going to be burned, they are all decoded to wav, most burning apps have sub-standard mp3 decoders built into them that no-one should ever trust. Probably the reason why it choked on the VBR files, coupled with the fact that the files could have had ID3 V2 tags.

What settings would you recommend for ripping songs from tapes? I want them to be the best quality they can be.

Well if you're intending to burn them to CD, record straight to wav, or lossless formats like Monkey's Audio (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-monkeys.htm) or FLAC (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-flac.htm) if you intend to store them on your HDD a little longer before you burn them.

Unregistered
07-19-2002, 06:54 PM
I am trying to burn to a regular music CD, so I can listen to them on a non-mp3 compatible stereo or portable player.

Kelis
07-19-2002, 07:56 PM
Hi

Just to confirm what Modatic said, Nero always crashed when i tried to burn MP3 direct, conversion to WAV before burning solved the problem, from my own experience it seems Nero cant cache the MP3's very well and you end up with buffer underrun.

Cheers