PDA

View Full Version : Trying For Automation - Please Help

wolfbrother9
10-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Greetings. I found dbPowerAmp Converter tonight, and I think it is a great tool. I do have a problem, though, that I am trying to work through and not having much luck. I am attempting to write a script to automate the conversion of my music, but I have never done anything with VB Script and my Visual Basic skills are not very high either. I am plenty experienced with Perl, Cold Fusion, and other languages... so I thought I could make heads or tails of this process. Alas, no such luck... :sad:

Here is what I have done so far:

1.) I ripped all my audio CDs to WMA via Windows Media Player, and kept them sorted by CD. The audio is loaded at C:\Multimedia\Music\WMA\{Artist}\{CD Title}\*.wma

2.) My wife would like all the WMAs converted to MP3, so she can burn them to CD for her new car stereo (plays MP3, not WMA). I, however, like the WMA format and organization scheme I have going. So I created a directory C:\Multimedia\Music\WMAConverted.

3.) I wrote a quick Perl script to go through all the directories in my WMA folder, and create a new directory in my WMAConverted directory for each artist. So I now have C:\Multimedia\Music\WMAConverted\{Artist}.

I would like to script my conversions so that I can grab the WMA's from each artist (not care about the CD) and convert them into MP3 and dump the output into the C:\Multimedia\Music\WMAConverted\Artist\ directory mentioned in 3 above. I don't care to keep the songs seperated by CD, just artist.

Example:

C:\Multimedia\WMA\Aerosmith\Greatest Hits\ contains 10 WMA's I ripped from my CD. I would like to grab those 10 WMA's, convert them to MP3, and place the output into C:\Multimedia\ConvertedWMA\Aerosmith\. Then, I want to move on to C:\Multimedia\WMA\Big Bad Voodoo Daddy\Big Bad Voodoo Daddy [Interscope]\, grab those 12 songs, convert them to MP3, and place the output in C:\Multimedia\ConvertedWMA\Big Bad Voodoo Daddy\.

Any and all assistance on this matter would be EXTREMELY appreciated, as I really do not have time to convert each WMA folder by hand and I would love to learn a new skill here to add to my repetoire. :smile2:

Thank you in advance!
WolfBrother9

10-16-2004, 03:36 PM
If you can write a skript:
a) run dMC File Selector (add. download), let it convert all your wma to somewhere keeping the directory structure
b) move the files from subfolders of ...\{Artist}\ to ...\{Artist}
c) done

Spoon
11-24-2004, 04:42 PM
There is example .vbs script file - it is possible for you to in perl - create a .vbs file (simple conversion, just like the examples in developer section) - then shell execute the vbs script.