PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to convert more than about 250 files at once?

Unregistered
10-06-2004, 10:41 AM
When I select more than that to 'open', the conversion dialog never opens. I have to start over and select fewer files.

I have about 6000 files to convert. i have a second machine that can do the work, but I don't want to have to do it in 300 restarts, if I can help it.

Any advice?

xoas
10-06-2004, 12:15 PM
I am not sure that there is any set limit for File Selector nor have I tried very large batch conversions. I do wonder if your computer's resources might not be the factor creating these limits.

The other two factors that might affect the ability to convert larger batches that you might have some control over are the priority for your conversions and the type of conversions you are actually doing.

If you have the Power Pack installed you can set the conversion rate from the window that shows the progress of your conversion. Set this to below normal (to keep resources from getting jammed up during your large conversions).

If you are converting to a highly compressed format setting, try converting your files to wav first and then to your end setting.

If you have 6000 files that should only be 24 runs of 250 files apiece (but perhaps you dropped a zero).

Those are my ideas. Perhaps another user who has worked with large batch conversions could help confirm what limits they have run into. If Spoon offers any guidance, go with what he says.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

ChristinaS
10-06-2004, 01:12 PM
If you are converting to a highly compressed format setting, try converting your files to wav first and then to your end setting.

Only a bit of potential trouble I can see with this. A large number of wav files occupy a large amount of space. This could pose a problem if space is tight. Just something to keep in mind, that's all. Housekeeping is important.

Unregistered
10-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the help.

yeah, I added a zero on there, I was thinking 200 file batches. Still, 20+ batches, ouch. I can do it, but I thought I'd just check if there was an easier way.

I can't convert to wav first, already taking up about 100+ gb in ape and mp3, don't have room for them in wav also.

I'm converting to m4a files, is it maybe a limitation of QuickTime encoder?

Also, the files are all cataloged and tagged in J River Media Center originally. Is there any chance that the tag info will make it through the conversion, so Media Center will have all the tag info when I import the converted files? If not, is there some way to make it happen? A second program to retrieve the tags maybe?