PDA

View Full Version : cd "Types"?

savagcl
10-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Whats the difference in the 4 types of cd's defined in cd-writer
(Standard Audio CD 74 Minutes, Standard Audio CD 80 Minutes,
MP3 Audio CD 650 MB, MP3 Audio CD 700 MB)?

i.e., Standard Audio CD 80 Minutes vs MP3 Audio CD 700 MB. They are both
700MB and 80Minutes.......

For example, i use a standard audio cd 80 minutes to create a MP3 audio cd
having 700MB....

Hope this is clear enough..
thanks,
savagcl

xoas
10-01-2004, 01:07 PM
If you want to burn to standard cd format you will get up to 80 minutes of music on a blank 700 mb cd-r disk. All tracks burned on this disk will be converted to cda format before they are burned.
An mp3 disk will get you up to 700 mb of mp3 files on the same cd-r. At 192 kbs this will get you about 6 hours of music, at 128 kbs it will get you up to about 10 hours of music. All files on your mp3 disc will be converted to mp3 format before being burned.
Some blank cd-r disks may only hold up to 650 mb of data, in which case you should choose those settings. Some CD players may only be able to play 650 mb worth of cda in which case you would again want to choose that option.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikelsen

savagcl
10-01-2004, 05:29 PM
?????
Standard Audio CD 74 Minutes
Standard Audio CD 80 Minutes
MP3 Audio CD 650 MB
MP3 Audio CD 700 MB

I still dont get it. all 4 of the above say "audio" cd. So you are saying that a
"Standard" cd won't record MP3 music unless it converts it to cda format?
And the oposite (an MP3 cd will not allow the cda format?).

I assume the 74 minute cd has 650MB. So the same question applies for
these types of cd.

Wellllllll, I have a box of cd's that says "Sony CD-R Music 80 minutes" (it has
700MB). So, are these cd's Standard Audio (based on the 80 minutes) or are
they MP3 Audio cd's (based on the 700MB)?

Where does all this leave a regular (data) cd-r or cd-rw? Which of the above
4 catagories do they fall under?

Thanks for the feedback,
savagcl

xoas
10-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Your blank Sony Music cd-r disks have a capacity for 800 mb.
So assuming you are going to burn them to either standard cd (cda) format or to some type of audio data format (mp3, wma) you want to select the 80 minute/700 mb setting over the 74 minute/650 mb setting. If you choose the 74 minute/650mb setting that will be all you can burn onto your 80 minute/700 mb disk.*dB CD Burner expects you to choose up front what type of disk you are planning to create. If you start out to create a 650 mb disk and then you decide to make a 700 mb disc instead, you need to start all over again*
If you want to make a standard (cda) format cd (that will play in a regular cd player), then you need to choose the standard audio cd format option for whatever size disk you use. "Standard Audio CD" means a cd burned in regular cda format.
The term "MP3 Audio CD" instead refers to a cd that contains files in a digital audio format other than regular cd format. This is the option you would choose if you want to make a disk that you can play on your car's cd/mp3 player. Not to add to your confusion but this is also the option you would choose if you wanted to create a disk full of wma files (but let's just stay with mp3 for now). In some older programs such a disk might be referred to as a "data" disk but that was kind of unsatisfactory as well once players that could handle mp3 or wma discs started getting popular.
From the program's standpoint you don't need to worry about whether the disk is cd-r or cd-rw**. However, not all drives that can write to cd-r can write to cd-rw do it might matter to the drive. Cd-r disks can generally be written much more quickly than cd-rw discs and they are cheaper but they cannot be erased. The other place it matters whether a disc is cd-r or cd-rw is when it comes to playing the disc, especially if it is burned in standard audio cd format. As we discussed before, not every player that can read a cd-r disc can read a cd-rw disc. As for your Sony CD-R Music discs (I use them myself), if you do a lot of burning and sometimes you burn mp3 discs and sometimes standard cd format discs save your cd-r music standard discs for your standard cd format discs because generally any player that can read an mp3 disc will pretty reliably read a standard cd-r disc (which is also cheaper than the cd-r music disc).

**This holds true so long as the cd-r and cd-rw are the same size. It is not uncommon to find cd-rw's in the 650 mb size.

ChristinaS
10-01-2004, 07:52 PM
The moment you see MP3,that is not a standard audio cd, it is in fact a data cd. Standard players won't play it. Only computers and mp3 cd-players will play it. Because blank cd's come in 2 capacities (650MB and 700MB), there are 2 types of cd in each category: standard audio and mp3.

Standard audio cd's should be burned on non-rewritable cd's, as standard cd players cannot read them otherwise. I'd not stake my fortune on that statement though, but it certainly applies to older standard cd players. Let's just say I've not bothered trying to use rewritable cd's that way. :p Anyway, ordinary non-rewritable cd's are so cheap, it's unnecessary to bother with re-writable ones for this, I'd think.

Hope this dispells the mystery surrounding types of cd's.

savagcl
10-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Think i better read those last 2 msg again (a coupla times). I did get this much.
1. A "Normal" data cd (either cd-r or cd-rw) can record MP3 music and if the
player is able, they can be played.

2. A music cd-r (80 min) can also be used for mp3 music.

3. A "Standard" cd-r ???? ( I dont think i've ever seen a Standard Audio cd)
other than a data cd. Confusion here - I have some normal data cd-r's that i
have put music on (MP3) and it plays fine in my player..... My player has no
problems with either data or audio cd-r, cd-rw or whatever.

4. I gotta do some research on cd "types". I can see that coming.

Thanks for the explanations,
savagcl

xoas
10-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Standard audio cd's should be burned on non-rewritable cd's, as standard cd players cannot read them otherwise. I'd not stake my fortune on that statement though, but it certainly applies to older standard cd players. Let's just say I've not bothered trying to use rewritable cd's that way. Anyway, ordinary non-rewritable cd's are so cheap, it's unnecessary to bother with re-writable ones for this, I'd think.
I think this is a reasonable point of view. I do think there is another reasonable point of view which would state that using a cd-rw disc to to burn a standard audio cd is reasonable if you are concerned about achieving the best quality you can. Newbies, myself included, may often make little mistakes that can mar a project. By using a cd-rw to make a draft copy, you can "proof" your cd by listening to it on your computer (or in Clif's case his car player which is reportedly cd-rw compatible), before you burn to cd-r.
But on the whole I agree with Christina that for standard audio cd formatted cd burning this is usually overkill (compared to the learning curve for getting your file structure to come out right on an mp3 audio (or data) disk).
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

ChristinaS
10-01-2004, 08:57 PM
3. A "Standard" cd-r ???? ( I dont think i've ever seen a Standard Audio cd)
other than a data cd. Confusion here - I have some normal data cd-r's that i
have put music on (MP3) and it plays fine in my player..... My player has no
problems with either data or audio cd-r, cd-rw or whatever.

Clif, Standard audio cds are those you buy in stores (before they started making combination cd's that is). When we call that cd-r it's because we burn them ourselves, but they have the exact same format as those in stores (or at least it's compatible with standard cd-players which cannot tell the difference between a cd that's manufactured from a glass master and a burned one as long as the burner didn't mess up).

Razgo
10-01-2004, 10:39 PM
yes it can get confusing. i use cd-rw because it saves on using up cd-r only disks, and not to mention if you decide to you want to change what's on the cd-rw you can :). and a lot of modern DVD players and CD players now play both audio cd and mp3 and photo's jpeg as well. in this case you just check the print on the player you are purchasing that it can play mp3cd's.

some in car players now also can play mp3cd's. so you only need to know the reasons behind using mp3cd's as opposed to audio cd's.

as you can fit 10-12 audio cd albums on one mp3cd and just playback one mp3 cd on your player. so it depends on your reasons.

and don't forget an mp3cd is not an mp3cd until you actual burn an mp3 onto it, otherwise it is just a black CD :) and an audio cd is not an audio cd unless it actually has standard audio music on it, otherwise it is just a blank cd too :)

xoas
10-02-2004, 07:05 AM
"Who" is on first,
"What" is on second,
"Whatsamattawityou" is on third

(Abbott & Costello)

;) :D ;) :smile2: :D ;) :smile2:

savagcl
10-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Ha! So the only "Standard" is that everything is standardized unto its-self.

I also prefer cd-rw's simply because of the reuseability feature. I will normally
do a test burn to cd-rw and then do the actual burn but this software is so
good, i've dropped that and just watch for the space measurement with some
overhead allowed for.

Abbott & Costello - you forgot "I Dont Know". Was he the short-stop or catcher?

Ah well, give me 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other..........

An interesting lesson all told.
savagcl

xoas
10-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Abbott & Costello - you forgot "I Dont Know". Was he the short-stop or catcher?

I bow to your superior memory on this (see:http://www.baseball-almanac.com/humor4.shtml for confirmation).

Serves me right for trying to come up with banter at 4 am.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen