PDA

View Full Version : Blip during playback (new to this!)

bonerp
09-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Hi,
First time here and I bet its been asked a million times (I had a look in old forums thougH!) but I've just recorded my first CD to MP3 and added it to my mobile phone (Nokia 7610) but theres a blip every few seconds...

Can anyone tell me how to stop this?

Also can the MP3 files be compressed further without loosing sound quality?

Many thanks in advance

Paul

xoas
09-30-2004, 06:35 PM
I'd need to know more before I could address the blip issue. Most likely it has to do with your setings for the mp3 file you put on your phone. To narrow down the possibilities consider the following:
Does the blip exist in the mp3 track on your pc or does it only appear on your phone?
Is the file on your phone constant bitrate or variable bitrate? What frequency is your mp3 file and what are your phones specs for frequency? What is the bit setting for the mp3 file on your phone and what does your phone accept?

As to the ssecond part of your question:
The further you compress a lossy codec the more sound quality you lose.
Also, reconverting a lossy file to a different format or different settings, your reconverted file will not be as good as the file you converted it from and it will not be as good as if you instead created the second file from the original source (like if you ripped it again from cd).
How much sound quality you will lose and whether this loss is acceptable or not is largely a matter of trial and error and your own individual taste.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Unregistered
10-01-2004, 04:27 AM
Bill,
Its on constant bitrate at 192 kbps and 44100hz.

Theres no sound degradation when the file is on the pc just when it gets to the phone.

I have used a card reader/writer to download the music to my MMC.

The phone uses realplayer. Not sure of the spec. Had a look but can't find any info.

Paul

xoas
10-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Just some ideas:
Make sure your mp3 setting is indeed cbr 192 kbs (Click on adavanced Setting and make sure that No Presets shows in the preset menu). Try a lower cbr (maybe 160 kbs or even 128).
Make sure DSP's are off-(the phone's player may have its own volume normalization which may overamplify a track previously volume normalized). Or it may be possible to disable your phone player's volume normalization function.
There are occasions where the Blade mp3 codec (available from Codec Central) gives better results than the Lame codec.
Since your phone is supposed to be able to play AAC files, why not try AAC rather than mp3? You should be able to get better quality per amount of space with AAC.

Perhaps another user might have some better insight. Please let us know how you make out.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

ChristinaS
10-01-2004, 10:28 AM
I don't know, it rather seems like total overkill to use 192kbps on a phone. I know this is neither here nor there and it doesn't begin to address the blips, but I'd reduce the bit rate to 64kbps in a heartbeat, and probably further down too, if only to save on space, though if you use smart media cards this may not be much of a concern. it may require less memory to play though. If it uses real player, why not encode to .rm instead?

10-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks I will reduce the bit rate to see how that goes.

I have used AAC and seems to be ok. I even changed the phone today but still clicks!

I will play about and let you know.

thanks again all.
Paul