PDA

View Full Version : Music Converter - Formats

Caliuser
09-25-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm currently using the Music Converter to convert MP3's to WMA for use in a Rio Cali.

Everything is working fine but I can't find info on recommended codecs... For example, which codecs should I be using for Windows Media Audio 9: plain, Professional, or Lossless. Also, any recommendations on constant vs. variable bitrates would be appreciated.

Thanks

ChristinaS
09-25-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm currently using the Music Converter to convert MP3's to WMA for use in a Rio Cali.

Everything is working fine but I can't find info on recommended codecs... For example, which codecs should I be using for Windows Media Audio 9: plain, Professional, or Lossless. Also, any recommendations on constant vs. variable bitrates would be appreciated.

Thanks
Good opportunity for you to refer to Spoons Audio Guide (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide.htm), at the top of the forum.

xoas
09-25-2004, 10:44 PM
I would check your Rio's documentation regarding what it can handle.
If in doubt, use plain wma at constant bitrate. You might want to be aware of this:

Microsoft's effort, more advanced compression to mp3 especially at lower bitrates. WMA v9 added 2 pass VBR, and thress new additions to the codec - WMA Lossless, WMA Pro and WMA Voice. Where as a normal WMA v9 file will play fine in a portable player, currently no portable players will play any of the new additions. from here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide-formats.htm

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Razgo
09-25-2004, 10:57 PM
if using WMP , just stick with windows audio 9.1 available for download from codec central. your cali will play mp3 and WMA in VBR format as well.

try windows audio 9.1 VBR Q10,25, or 50. if you like CBR then try a/v CBR settings. there all good and depends on how much space you want to concerve as to what compression ratio you use.

as far as i know you cannot use lossless on your cali.

Spoon
09-26-2004, 05:48 PM
or WMA Professional on the cali, or any portable player for that matter.

Caliuser
09-26-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks to all. This clears things up a lot.

Unregistered
09-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi,

i have to convert .mus files to wma files. is this possible? how?
thx for help
tina