PDA

View Full Version : I have got to find a cd player (auto)

ChristinaS
09-25-2004, 10:41 AM
And now for something completely different: I have got to find a
cd-player (auto) that will play mp3 cds, cd-r and cd-rw for a reasonable
price - back to google. :smile:

Try Walmart or Best Buy or even Costco :)

I found some here in the range $150 -$200 CDN (plus tax & installation :( )

savagcl
09-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Sounds good. Walmart is on the corner and bestbuy across the street
from walmarts. The other one is a 30 minute trip to louisville.

thanks, Christina,
savagcl

ChristinaS
09-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Sounds good. Walmart is on the corner and bestbuy across the street
from walmarts. The other one is a 30 minute trip to louisville.

thanks, Christina,
savagcl
So you get one and let me know how easy or not it is to install and how good or not it is :smile2:

I have to replace a very stupid cd player in my husband's car with something new and was thinking of getting one of these actually. The current cd player there is really one of the earlier cd-exchangers, located in the trunk (for Petes' sake!), with no means to load any other cd from inside the car, and is an endless source of aggravation especially since we usually forget to plan what cd's we want to load in it before leaving the house! So if we're already on the highway it's a long drive full of bickering and accusations as to who's responsible for having forgotten that detail :D Whoever invented that system should be punished by being forced to live in a car trunk and manually change cd's in his contraption :teufel8:

savagcl
09-25-2004, 01:23 PM
I can see where that might be a problem but with a little pre-planning it can be overcome. :teufel8: :teufel8:

I found a couple that would play cd-r, cd-rw and mp3s. I took some of
my cd's with me to check. It seems like nothing under $159 would play
the cd-rw (as advertised) but above that price, there was no problems
with any i tried. So i picked a pioneer from bestbuy and was going to
buy it! Then they hit me with the "other" things i would have to buy as
well - mounting brackets, harness, antenna, antenna cable, etc, etc.
Looking at well over $200.00....... So i backed off (for a while at least).

Oh, this walmarts don't do installations. Prices were about the same tho.

I can listen to a lot of radio/cassettes for $200.00.......

Suggestion: If/when you do upgrade, take some of your cd's, at least 1
of each kind and try them in the player yourself.

savagcl

ChristinaS
09-25-2004, 01:39 PM
I can see where that might be a problem but with a little pre-planning it can be overcome. :teufel8: :teufel8:

I found a couple that would play cd-r, cd-rw and mp3s. I took some of
my cd's with me to check. It seems like nothing under $159 would play
the cd-rw (as advertised) but above that price, there was no problems
with any i tried. So i picked a pioneer from bestbuy and was going to
buy it! Then they hit me with the "other" things i would have to buy as
well - mounting brackets, harness, antenna, antenna cable, etc, etc.
Looking at well over $200.00....... So i backed off (for a while at least).

Oh, this walmarts don't do installations. Prices were about the same tho.

I can listen to a lot of radio/cassettes for $200.00.......

Suggestion: If/when you do upgrade, take some of your cd's, at least 1
of each kind and try them in the player yourself.

savagcl
Aha! sneaky stuff! Why the heck would you need an antenna? Are you changing the entire sound system? and doesn't the car already have an antenna anyway? Good thing they are not trying to get you to also buy a new transmission or a timing belt! Did they offer a free oil change at least? :vmad:

Well, this is precisely why I haven't attempted anything yet myself - or let my husband try it either, since there may be unpleasant surprises along the way. I only want to put in a proper cd player, preferably an mp3 player while we are at it. The radio is perfect, so is the cassette player. Of course it appears to be all in one piece but I think it's really made up of separate components behind it all. But then again, can't know without opening it all up, and things have a way of never fitting back together once out of the box :p

Razgo
09-25-2004, 04:43 PM
i just split the topic as it was going off topic :).

why not got to a car sound place? here we have brisbane car sounds which is a place for all car audio and you can have it all fitted out by them also.

ChristinaS
09-25-2004, 06:24 PM
i just split the topic as it was going off topic :).

why not got to a car sound place? here we have brisbane car sounds which is a place for all car audio and you can have it all fitted out by them also.
Why not indeed? We've got plenty of these outfits too. Perhaps because often here they charge about double for the item so buying it in an electronics store or the electronics department of a general store sort of sounds more reasonable :p Always the fear of getting ripped off I suppose....

Razgo
09-25-2004, 06:33 PM
oh ok, well here there is less chance getting ripped off at a car sound place than it is in a store by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

yes, sometimes you can pay a little more but i guess if the service and advice is good i tend to go that way.

ChristinaS
09-25-2004, 06:41 PM
oh ok, well here there is less chance getting ripped off at a car sound place than it is in a store by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

yes, sometimes you can pay a little more but i guess if the service and advice is good i tend to go that way.
OK, ok, sold! But I'll let a few people get theirs first and then go to the place where it was least painful :D

Razgo
09-25-2004, 07:03 PM
OK, ok, sold! But I'll let a few people get theirs first and then go to the place where it was least painful
lol, sounds like a good plan :)

for me the least painful would be simple cassettes. they are cheap robust and you can even spill coffee all over them and they will still play. ah the days of tossing a spent cassette out the window like a streamer :) let's see anyone do that with A CD :)

i know it's each to their own and i am not a technology stopper as i like my gadgets too. but sometimes i think we forget about something called "silence". and no that's not a mute button :teufel8: . i have been on many a 10 hour + drive with only very little music played. why? well when our focus is on music it takes our focus way form whats happening around us. ok so maybe that is a good thing sometimes if the things around us are rather annoying :D , but you know what i mean.

i remember my parents driving us kids down to the beach in the old FJ holden which would take 3 hrs to get about or less than 100Km's. i guess they wished they had a 200cd rack in the boot to drown out our sounds :), but we all managed. now days we just ignore each other and everyone around us. just yesterday a jogger jogging with his dog nearly took the meat pie out of my hand! the dog that is! yes the jogger was wired to his mp3player so was oblivious to his surroundings. he did say sorry as a delayed reaction after the fact but my point is without the music plugged into his head he would have at least thought "hey man with meat pie up ahead and me with dog" err = go around? duh!

:D :D :D

ChristinaS
09-25-2004, 10:38 PM
LOL! Who doesn't miss the challenge of untangling a knotted cassette tape and cut out the bad part and splice it back with Scotch tape?

Well, maybe all that was before the modern Frisbee was invented! Oops CDs (as I call them) make great frisbees, they have their own unpredictable pattern. And of course you can get a matching set of coasters any time with very little effort. And who can pass the opportunity to display his first oops cd hanging from the rear-view mirror and slashing one across the forhead? Ah, but the little minis and the business card type are sooo cuuuute! Now they make beautiful Christmas tree decorations, espcially those that come in many different colors! I don't know, but a spoilt Flash card just doesn't do the same for me, ya know what I mean? My first absolutely gorgeous set of 10 oops cd coasters came with full glossy artwork too, in color - all stuck to the wrong side of the CD's :D

Craze
09-26-2004, 10:59 AM
LOL! Who doesn't miss the challenge of untangling a knotted cassette tape and cut out the bad part and splice it back with Scotch tape?
:D
Hope that was Scotch splicing tape instead of the household stuff. It only took me one time of using the household stuff and seeing it bleed through several layers deep on a wound tape and the effects of dropping out or of the tape sticking together causing a wow & flutter problem.
I still use the splicing tape even today. One spool has lasted 30 years! :D

Need a new CD player? Go try a new dAP skin.
No, it won't work in your car. But it will be like having a new player.:smile2:

ChristinaS
09-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Hope that was Scotch splicing tape instead of the household stuff. It only took me one time of using the household stuff and seeing it bleed through several layers deep on a wound tape and the effects of dropping out or of the tape sticking together causing a wow & flutter problem.
I still use the splicing tape even today. One spool has lasted 30 years! :D

Need a new CD player? Go try a new dAP skin.
No, it won't work in your car. But it will be like having a new player.:smile2:
Actually it may well have been a no-name brand sticky tape. Usually a precursor to eventually getting rid of the offending tape anwyay.:D