PDA

View Full Version : Convert 32bit float wavs to mp3

Intact
09-24-2004, 09:09 PM
i use fruity loops and i find that rendering as wav32bitfloat makes for the highest quality tracks. now i want to convert it to high quality mp3 but it says i am missing a acm codec "ieee float" and i cant find it anywhere, while searching for it i somehow arrived here. strange this is the program i use to convert with. please somebody help me out thanx

ChristinaS
09-24-2004, 09:46 PM
i use fruity loops and i find that rendering as wav32bitfloat makes for the highest quality tracks. now i want to convert it to high quality mp3 but it says i am missing a acm codec "ieee float" and i cant find it anywhere, while searching for it i somehow arrived here. strange this is the program i use to convert with. please somebody help me out thanx
Doesn't fruity loops allow you to save your file to 16-bit 44.1KHz (cd-quality) 2-channel stereo wav format? Maybe as a mixdown audio feature? Or maybe 24-bit wav 48KHz(dvd quality).

You can then convert that file to the highest quality mp3 (320kbps) that the Lame mp3 codec can handle plus all the other paramaters in the Advanced settings.

Intact
09-26-2004, 08:15 PM
yeah i can save it in 16bit form but it doesnt sound anymore better then it sounds when i save it as mp3 :( i want the best quality and it seems that 32bit float (.24) is the best quality.

ChristinaS
09-26-2004, 09:29 PM
yeah i can save it in 16bit form but it doesnt sound anymore better then it sounds when i save it as mp3 :( i want the best quality and it seems that 32bit float (.24) is the best quality.
Well, mp3 is based on 16-bit wav anyway, so it's not going to sound ever as good as even the 16-bit wav, let alone the 24-bit one. It is after all a lossy format. On the highest quality settings you will most likely not notice any difference, but the fact remains that if you convert back to wav you will not get the same exact wav as your original one.

The best quality is your original wav file. Equally good would be various lossless formats, but you don't save more than about half the space, if at that. Lossless formats are Flac, Monkeys, Shorten, OPTIMFrog and the newest Windows Media Audio 9 Lossless (VBR Quality 100, at 24-bit, whatever frequency your wav had). The latter saves at most about 1/4 of the space from what I found. You'll have to experiment with all of them to figure out what you like best.

Lossless formats are great for storage of original wav file in a more compressed mode and can be played on your own pc by various players, but there appear to be no portable players capable of playing them, with the exception of the WMA lossless format that apparently may be played in one portable player that I saw advertised on the WMP site.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

Intact
09-27-2004, 02:17 AM
wow u know alot...thank u i appreciate it