PDA

View Full Version : Convert 4-CHANNEL WMA to 4-CHANNEL MP3?

Unregistered
09-18-2004, 10:08 AM
HELP ME SOMEONE! I have a WMA file that is 4 channels and I need all 4 channels to work. How can I convert this WMA 4 channel to a 4 channel MP3 retaining all 4 channels in the exact same order and sync?

What if I am converting 5.1 channels wma to mp3? same idea?

THanks for any help.

xoas
09-18-2004, 11:55 AM
I am afraid you are probably out of luck. Traditionally mp3 is set up to handle one or two channels. Freunhoffer (the developers of mp3) have developed an mp3 surround format but I don't know if or where you could find a codec or program to encode to mp3 surround.
If anyone else has information on this I am sure it would be welcomed.
Best wishes,
Bill mikkelsen

Unregistered
09-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Well, I dont necessarily have to convert to MP3, but I need to convert to something that I can actually edit the sound channels for each of the 4 channels.

Like Maven3d is perfect, except I can't get their pro trial to load my WMA file that I have. says incorrect file format....

Any 4 channel editing software out there for WMA's or,, what it a good format to convert to?? File size is not much of any issue for me.

ChristinaS
09-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Well, I dont necessarily have to convert to MP3, but I need to convert to something that I can actually edit the sound channels for each of the 4 channels.

Like Maven3d is perfect, except I can't get their pro trial to load my WMA file that I have. says incorrect file format....

Any 4 channel editing software out there for WMA's or,, what it a good format to convert to?? File size is not much of any issue for me.
You could try to convert to wav, 16 or 24-bit, 6"5.1" channels, 44.1KHz or higher.

I know you can edit a wav, I don't know if you can edit a wma file.

hans-j�rgen
09-18-2004, 06:42 PM
I doubt that there is any other software than Microsoft's WMP9/10 that could decode or even edit multichannel WMA files. So if you have this player and it can decode to multichannel WAV, then you can go on with editing and reconverting it to WMA or another multichannel format if you want to. And yes, normal MP3 is stereo only, and the brand-new surround add-on from FhG is not publicly available anywhere, as far as I know.

Unregistered
09-19-2004, 01:59 AM
Is there a WMP that allows you to edit multiple channels? I am having a time and a half with this darn file. I know there is 4 channels on it gauranteed. But when I converted it to wav, i opened the wav in an editor and well of course it looks like 1 and 3 were combined and 2/4 the same.

Anyone know of any actual real wma editor that will show me EXACTLY what i got here.

ChristinaS
09-19-2004, 03:24 AM
Is there a WMP that allows you to edit multiple channels? I am having a time and a half with this darn file. I know there is 4 channels on it gauranteed. But when I converted it to wav, i opened the wav in an editor and well of course it looks like 1 and 3 were combined and 2/4 the same.

Anyone know of any actual real wma editor that will show me EXACTLY what i got here.
If converting to wav 6"5.1" didn't allow you to see the individual channels, maybe http://www.goldwave.com/ can handle the wma file.

Or maybe you can get some more enlightment at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/utilities.aspx .

Unregistered
09-19-2004, 04:30 AM
Can you recommend a program to convert my wma to a 6(5.1) Wav file?

ChristinaS
09-19-2004, 04:45 AM
Can you recommend a program to convert my wma to a 6(5.1) Wav file?
dMC does it! As long as you have the codecs and you can get all of them from Codec Central.

Unregistered
09-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Well I did do it w/ dmc.. but my results were 6 identical channels.. Not the 6 seperate i need.

Could this be wrong codecs, or no codecs, or would it not convert at all without the codecs?

Could I be having trouble editing this 6 channel stuff because i dont have a 6 channel audio card on my pc ( I wouldnt think that'd matter )

ChristinaS
09-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Well I did do it w/ dmc.. but my results were 6 identical channels.. Not the 6 seperate i need.

Could this be wrong codecs, or no codecs, or would it not convert at all without the codecs?

Could I be having trouble editing this 6 channel stuff because i dont have a 6 channel audio card on my pc ( I wouldnt think that'd matter )
Do you know for a fact that you have a 6-channel wma file? And that they are actually all different?

Unregistered
09-23-2004, 03:06 PM
This is being gauranteed to me that the wma has 6 diff channels. And that channel 1 and 2 are audio L and R and channels 3 and 4 have data on them.

ChristinaS
09-23-2004, 07:07 PM
This is being gauranteed to me that the wma has 6 diff channels. And that channel 1 and 2 are audio L and R and channels 3 and 4 have data on them.
What or who guarantees this to you? What player plays it? And how do you see the effect of the separate channels?

Let's go back a bit here.

How was this wma file created, using what software?
How was it sent to you? was it burnt as data to a cd? sent by email? downloaded off a web site?

And if you don't mind me asking, what kind of data is supposed to be on the other channnels? And are we talking 4 or 6 channels here? Or are we dealing with 2 Unregistered guests here, one with a 4-channel wma and another with a 6-channel wma?

Razgo
09-24-2004, 01:51 AM
what about auxiliary input? i haven't used the option but there is an option to record to from 3ch to 9ch stereo or mono. not sure if that's the same thing or not though.