PDA

View Full Version : Codec Decompression error (Need Help!)

drspy00
09-17-2004, 11:46 PM
Ive ripped most of my CD collection into monkeys audio format(.ape) using EAC and have them all on the hard drive, they play just fine without any problems.

I ran File Selector and selected a large quantity of files to be converted to mp3 to go on my mp3 player and on some files, not all for some reason it comes up with a codec decompression error. I tried converting these files manually to see if it worked and even tried converting to wav and also monkeys audio again and also without volume normalisation. It seems to work without volume normalisation and works fine with some files but leaves out all tags. The funny thing is that it works fine on some files even with tags intact.
When it doesnt work it creates an empty file for each .ape file with the correct filename but isnt a real file.

the error message I got is the same as this one below:

CODEC decompression error for 'G:\CDs\Scores\Forrest Gump Original Motion Picture Score - Alan Silvestri\07 - They're Sending Me to Vietnam - Forrest Gump Original Motion Picture Score - Alan Silvestri.ape'
Error whilst running DSP effect, lack of disk space? Temp file 'C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\DMCDD1.tmp'

I know its not a disk space problem as suggested because it works without any problems with some files and I have about 8gb left on both drives.

I'm going to try and download the latest beta of the monkeys audio codec so hopefully that might be a solution to the problem. I'm in a rush to get all my files converted to take on a trip as we leave on Monday so im panicking!

hope someone can help! :blush:

ChristinaS
09-18-2004, 01:03 AM
Ive ripped most of my CD collection into monkeys audio format(.ape) using EAC and have them all on the hard drive, they play just fine without any problems.

I ran File Selector and selected a large quantity of files to be converted to mp3 to go on my mp3 player and on some files, not all for some reason it comes up with a codec decompression error. I tried converting these files manually to see if it worked and even tried converting to wav and also monkeys audio again and also without volume normalisation. It seems to work without volume normalisation and works fine with some files but leaves out all tags. The funny thing is that it works fine on some files even with tags intact.
When it doesnt work it creates an empty file for each .ape file with the correct filename but isnt a real file.

the error message I got is the same as this one below:

CODEC decompression error for 'G:\CDs\Scores\Forrest Gump Original Motion Picture Score - Alan Silvestri\07 - They're Sending Me to Vietnam - Forrest Gump Original Motion Picture Score - Alan Silvestri.ape'
Error whilst running DSP effect, lack of disk space? Temp file 'C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\DMCDD1.tmp'

I know its not a disk space problem as suggested because it works without any problems with some files and I have about 8gb left on both drives.

I'm going to try and download the latest beta of the monkeys audio codec so hopefully that might be a solution to the problem. I'm in a rush to get all my files converted to take on a trip as we leave on Monday so im panicking!

hope someone can help! :blush:

Just a suggestion: have you tried to convert one or a few of those particular files separately? It may be one file that requires extra ram (rather than disk space) for the DSP effect of normalization and maybe you're running out of memory when normalization is required in addition to converting a large number of files.

drspy00
09-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Its quite a few files that are having problems, if normalisation is selected it just creates an empty file and if no normalisation is selected it works but the tags arent copied over to the mp3 and a codec decompression error comes up but otherwise the file seems to be ok. I just cant see what the problem is! I've never had a problem with DMC and now I really need it urgently theres a problem, I wonder if its something ive done. Its not a problem with the ram or computer hardware cos even converted individually theres problems with the same files plus its a new computer.

I run windows xp sp1

I just installed the latest beta of dmc aswell as monkeys audio codec but still encounter the same problem.

Are there some settings I should try? I would greatly appreciate any help as I really need to convert these files.

Spoon
09-18-2004, 06:06 AM
So drive C: has lots of space?

xoas
09-18-2004, 12:49 PM
A couple of ideas:
For your tag problems, check dMC Configuration (Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dMC Configuration). Click on the button that says "ID Tag Options". Make sure that Tag Creation is set to Smart Ape2 & ID3v1. Make sure your Ape tag setting is Ape 2. Plan B might be to download and install the Tag From Filename Utility codec from Codec Central and using that to rewrite your missing tags.

For your conversions, make sure you set your priority level (which can be adjusted from the screen that comes up to show the progress of your conversions to "Below Normal" (this might help prevent the computer from getting jammed up while trying to convert large batches). You might also have more success batch converting to wav and then to mp3. DSP also adds to the amount of computer resource tied up in conversion so you might want to delete any dsp's you have set. You might also see about readjusting your ram cache to make it larger.

Please keep us posted (if you've got the time) on what works for you and what does not. Thanks and best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

drspy00
09-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks for your help. I'll try those suggestions. I really don't think its a computer resource problem, its a new pentium 4 computer with a big hard drive and atleast 5gb left on drive C, I partitioned it so theres about 30gb on the drive I have the monkeys audio files on. It converts some of the files fine and the ones with the problems I've tried numberous times with different settings and converting to different formats, even wav files and theres still decompression problems.

I have been using a tagging program called media tagger to edit the tags on the .ape files.

I think it could be a problem with EAC or the monkeys audio codec within that as some work and some dont. Its just so strange that this is happening when ive never had a problem with it before.

I've even tried deleting all the tage from the problem files and still have the same results, I thought it could be a tag problem, maybe something strange is happening to the files when im tagging them within media tagger as some files that converted prefectly earlier in the week are having problems now but are still there even with the tags deleted.

I've been reripping some of the CDs and it seems to work with no problems so it could be that media tagger program.

drspy00
09-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Thanks for your help everyone. Those suggestions didnt work but I'm now quite sure the problem lies either with EAC or the media tagger program I use. I ended up deleting many of the .ape files and starting again and ripping them to straight wav format from EAC, I was going to do that before, I just like monkeys as all the tags are there but if this works I dont mind if it takes a bit longer. I then converted the wav files using dmc into .ape files to save space and had no problems. I'm not going to risk messing round with the media tagger program just yet, I'll convert them all to to mp3 and then mess with the tags on the mp3s. I had spent a bit of time getting the tags ready in the .ape files before and look what a waste of time that was.

When I have more time I''ll try and test if the problem does have something to do with the media tagger program but for now I just want to get this done, I only have one more day to do it so I'm going to do an overnight mp3 conversion so its ready when I get up hopefully if theres no problems.