PDA

View Full Version : WM10 Breaks dbpowerAMP

Unregistered
09-17-2004, 01:30 AM
dbpowerAMP is one great program and I have enjoyed using it.

Recently I upgraded to WMP10 and I am now having problems that I have never seen before. I use multiple computers and mainly use dbpowerAMP from one desktop and one laptop. The desktop had the beta of WMP10 installed for a long time and caused no problems with dbpowerAMP. When I upgraded to the shipping version of WMP10 I started getting a - CODEC could not be found -noted elsewhere in this forum. I did the reinstall CODEC routine and did get the ability to encode back but the resulting file plays back at the wrong speed. Did a complete reinstall of the program and its CODECS and the same problems. Unfortunately by the time I discovered this I had upgraded all the other computers I have to WMP10 and when I attempted to do a new install and conversion of dbpowerAMP the same think happened. I have an older program I used to use (Advanced WMA Workshop) installed on the same computer as my main dbpowerAMP and it seems to handle the mp3 -> WMA conversion fine but of course I don't know how they handle the CODEC issues of WMA.

It seems as if the problem might be solved by using the WMA V9 CODEC but my original install of dbpowerAMP was to a computer that had WMA 9 already installed. When I ran the WMA CODEC from this site it installed but the options are totally different and foreign to me. Anyone see the same problems or have any ideas on how to fix this. I would just like dbpowerAMP to work as well as before. This is the only program I found with and intelligent design and bug free (until now). I know this is probably caused by WMA10 but perhaps someone has solved the problem

Spoon
09-17-2004, 03:43 AM
What is the exact error message? and you are converting what to what?

nataraj
09-17-2004, 03:31 PM
I get the same error. "The CODEC required to compress 'xyz.wma' could not be opened."

Thanks.

Unregistered
09-18-2004, 03:06 AM
i get the same thing and re-installing the codecs and wma files doesnt help

xoas
09-18-2004, 04:01 AM
I don't have any concrete solutions, just a few suggestions.
The first user to post feedback about WMP 10 (see thread here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5612) noted a problem with VBR files (although not with creating them in the first place). This error message here
"The CODEC required to compress 'xyz.wma' could not be opened." is known to be associated at times with attempts to conversions which may involve difficult conversions (changing frequencies, number of channels, and/or compressing to very small bitrates). So make sure you try some wav to wma conversions that are regular ordinary, 2 channel>2 channel, 41.5 khz>45.1 khz, conversions to 96 kbs or above, cbr conversions (if you have not done so already).

2. If it is true that wma 10 is somehow interfering with the old wma v9 codec, it makes sense to try this:
Uninstall your wma v9 codec from dMC (using Add/Remove Programs).
Download and install the WMA v.9 system codec.
Reinstall the wma v.9 codec
Reboot.
Please try this and report your results.
Good luck and best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Unregistered
09-18-2004, 04:35 AM
thanks for getting back so quickly.
Ok as u posted the other guy had problems with vbr, i use cbr neway so discounted that problem (although the error was the same)
i have been playing around with different codecs/bitrates and have found that the cbr a/v stereo one works and converts.
is there a quick guide to all the different rates etc?

Unregistered
09-18-2004, 04:49 AM
basically whats the difference between stereo CBR and stereo a/v CBR?
is there any difference in sound quality?

xoas
09-19-2004, 04:36 AM
stereo CBR and stereo a/v CBR?
I have done a fair amount of research on this topic. I believe that one user posted on a similar question about the "a/v" setting postulating that a/v stood for average/variable bitrate. I do not know that this is incorrect but it does seem contradictory to have an a/v cbr setting if a/v stands for average/variable.

I am going to toss out a different explanation which may not be true but it makes sense to me. I believe that the a/v settings relate to settings based on Windows Media Audio and Video 8 platform (from which would come the a/v). More on this platform can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/audvid8.aspx

As for differences in quality, I could not say. But if, as you say, you can convert files to wma with WMP 10 installed with the a/v setting but not with the non-a/v setting it really does not matter (although hypothetically it would seem at least equal to earlier codec settings)

If someone can confirm this or knows I am mistaken, don't be shy about sharing your knowledge.

Best wishes,
Bill mikkelsen

Razgo
09-19-2004, 09:42 AM
i have the lates WMA10 installed but haven't come across converting problems. is there an exact sequence i can test to see if a get errors?

DigitalZ
09-21-2004, 02:02 AM
Well, just when you thought it couldn't get any crazier! I have been monitoring the threads related to this problem hoping to find a cure ever since I installed WMP10 and couldn't convert anything.

I just tried to reproduce the steps so I could help diagnose the problem and poof, the problem is gone. I can convert both mp3 and wav files to wma with no errors but I have no idea what I did to my computer to solve the problem.

Originally all I did was install WMP10 over WMP9 and a fully functional dMC with power pack install and I could not convert any files.

learjeff
02-09-2006, 10:20 PM
I just started having this problem myself: "can't open codec" errors when trying to convert 16-bit stereo 44.1kHz to WMA V9 CBR. The problem started after upgrading from WMA V9 to V10. MP3 Lame codec is unaffected.

I'm still running dMC V10.1, BTW. I was hoping that upgrading to the latest version would solve the problem, but evidently not based on this thread.

I tried reinstalling the WMA codec (Release 1.3 according to dMC Config.) No change.

I'll be happy to help debug. I'm a software engineer so I can follow simple instructions (if there are pictures). ;)

ChristinaS
02-09-2006, 11:32 PM
I just started having this problem myself: "can't open codec" errors when trying to convert 16-bit stereo 44.1kHz to WMA V9 CBR. The problem started after upgrading from WMA V9 to V10. MP3 Lame codec is unaffected.

I'm still running dMC V10.1, BTW. I was hoping that upgrading to the latest version would solve the problem, but evidently not based on this thread.

I tried reinstalling the WMA codec (Release 1.3 according to dMC Config.) No change.

I'll be happy to help debug. I'm a software engineer so I can follow simple instructions (if there are pictures). ;)
This thread is from 2004! No such problem exists now. You should upgrade your version of dMC.

Spoon
02-10-2006, 03:18 PM
and install WMA 9.1

fmarinonj
10-02-2006, 08:37 PM
I am having a similar problem when trying to convert Audible files to MP3:

I did a clean install of Windows XP with SP1 on my computer.
I then installed all patches from Microsoft.
I installed Audible Manager.
I installed dBpowerAMP.
I installed the Direct Show codec.
I changed the Direct Show config file as instructed.
I re-ran the dBpowerAMP configuration (which shows Direc Show installed).

When I try to convert a .aa (audible) file I get the following error message:

The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Program Files\Audible\Programs\Downloads\ParadiseLostUnabr idgedPart1_mp332_fmarinonj.aa' could not be opened.

I have tried playing the file with WMP10 and it plays fine.

Any suggestions?

LtData
10-02-2006, 09:06 PM
See here about downloading the Win98/ME version of the Audible Manager: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=8981

fmarinonj
10-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I have looked through that thread, but can't find anything specific to my problem. (I used this thread in the past to setup my system for converting audible programs to mp3). I had this working previously (before reinstall) with an older version of WMP (Windows Media Player).

I followed the instructions after reinstalling (from scratch -- i needed to rebuild the computer from scratch due to a hard drive failure) and still can't seem to get it to work with the new WMP10.

Any suggestions?

LtData
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Did you download the Windows 98/ME version of AudibleManager?

fmarinonj
10-05-2006, 08:12 PM
No, I have the Windows XP version of Audible Manager. I am running Windows XP. Why would I use the 98/ME version?

Won't this cause a conflict or other problem since I am running a different OS from what it is expecting?

If I do install it, do I need to remove the current version prior to installing the 98/ME version?

LtData
10-05-2006, 09:28 PM
The reason you need the Win 98/ME version is because only that version will let dMC decode the files.

Yes, uninstall your current version and then install the 98/Me version. No, it won't cause a problem.

fmarinonj
10-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Tried out the WIN98/ME version and it works great. :smile2: Thank you for your help.