PDA

View Full Version : I dont understand -

savagcl
09-16-2004, 10:50 AM
What is the limiting factor(s) in creating a CD with CDWriter using only MP3 songs?

When i tried it, it would list 30 songs before getting the "Overburn" indicator.

Yet, when i use Easy CD Creator>MP3 CD Project option it will put over 100 mp3's on a single audio cd and still have some room to spare. It also says it will play in either the PC or a CD Player.

I'm using an 80 minute CD-R Audio CD.

?????

thank you,
savagcl

savagcl
09-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Never mind.
I had to re-install it and do some re-setting of options, its fine now.

thanks anyway,
savagcl

ChristinaS
09-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Of course, the limiting factor with mp3 or any other data files is the total of all file sizes plus a little overhead for indexes and such The cd can hold what, 700MB? So you figure maybe 680MB worth of files or so. Depending on your mp3's (duration, bitrate, etc): at 128kbps, a 3-min mp3 is about 3-4MB; at 192kbps it is about 5MB. So that would give you about about 130 hi-fi mp3's, roughly 10 times the size of an average audio cd.

savagcl
09-17-2004, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the info, ChristinaS.

I need to make a cd for an auto cd player, is there anything i should be
aware of? I have no idea what format(s) a car cd player will use or can
handle. Or even if it will accept a 80 minute audio cd.

thanks,
savagcl
(clif)

ChristinaS
09-17-2004, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the info, ChristinaS.

aware of? I have no idea what format(s) a car cd player will use or can
handle. Or even if it will accept a 80 minute audio cd.

thanks,
savagcl
(clif)
Unless you have bought one of the new(er) mp3 car cd players, you'll have to assume it's strictly audio cd format that is required (as opposed to any mixed or data format). The 80 minute cd's are probably ok, unless it's a pretty old cd player (or of a very finicky make like Telefunken, as I've noticed). Usually the rewritebale cd's cannot be played in those cd-players, at least not if the cd remains rewritable (it has to be "closed" for sure).

More importantly the quality of the cd may be a factor. The transparency or opacity may be at fault if a seemingly good burnt cd will not play in the car's cd player. If you have this problem, you may have to stick to the more expensive brands of cd's specially marked music cd's. I've rarely had this problem, most of the time I get by with any cheap all-purpose brand.

Trial and error really is the only way to establish suitability.

xoas
09-17-2004, 09:54 AM
aware of?
If you can find documentation for your car's cd player (some may be displayed on the face plate, you might find it in the owners manual or you might be able to find this on-line through the manufacturer's web site or through any of a number of websites, such as bestbuy.com, ciruitcity.com or epinions.com which offer consumer information including technical specifications), you should be able to find out the following: if the player will play mp3 discs (it will probably say so even on the faceplate or display), wma discs (likewise), and whether it has been designed to play cd-r's and/or cd-rw's (rewritable cd's).
As Christina says, if you auto cd player does not say it will play mp3 and/or wma discs you can safely assume it will not. In that case you will want to create a cd formatted disc (one that will play like a regular cd). You should not have problems with an 80 minute disc but you should probably not expect to get a full 80 minutes of audio playing time out of it (probably 74 to 76 minutes is a good target). If you try to put too much audio on the disc it is more likely that your burn will fail than that you would create problems with playback.
Unless an audio player specifically says it will play cd-rw discs you need to assume that it will not. A cd burned onto a cd-rw disc will play ok on your computer but will not be playable on players that are not specifically designed to read these discs (the actual technology is different).
The situation is different with cd-r discs. If a player says it will play cd-r discs then most likely almost any brand or type of cd-r will do.
If, on the other hand, a player does not say it will play cd-r discs then you have two options. The safest (and what I do if I want to make sure a burned audio cd will play on any player I put it on) is to use cd's (usually called Music CD-R's or Audio CD-R's) that are meant, as Christina says, to be played on regular everyday cd players . And, as she says, these music cd-r's cost more than regular cd-r's.
You may well find one or more brands of regular, garden variety cd-r's that will also play in your car's player. But this can only really be confirmed through trial and error, as Christina has said. The thing to avoid is running out and getting the big tower of 200 cd-r's for $10.00 to burn cd's for your car if you don't know for sure they will work. So either borrow some blank cd-r's or buy small packages of cd-r's until you know for sure that you have a brand your player will play. Keep in mind that while some player's may not play hardly any cd-r's (unless they are music cd-r's) most probably will play some brands of cd-r but not others.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

savagcl
09-17-2004, 12:33 PM
I dont have a cd player in either my car or the 4runner so i cant test it now.
I'll have to test it in my friends auto cd player.

I managed to get 260 (50s/60s rock and roll) mp3 songs onto 1 audio cd-r
with room to spare for overhead as needed. Really have to test this soon.

Thanks for the info,
savagcl
(clif)

xoas
09-17-2004, 12:43 PM
I managed to get 260 (50s/60s rock and roll) mp3 songs onto 1 audio cd-r
That's fine as long as you understand that your mp3 audio disc can only be played on an mp3 player and that you understand that with mp3 (and wma) files you always run into a trade-off between compression and quality.
Anyway, I know you're excited with your burn, so let us know how it turns out.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

savagcl
09-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Will be sure and post results here.

The mp3 were created by dbaconverter using the stereo setting, variable bit
rate, @44100kbps. So each song is 2,3,4,5 meg in length. Was surprised
they all fit. Quality remains to be heard.

thanks for the info,
savagcl
(clif)

ChristinaS
09-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Will be sure and post results here.

The mp3 were created by dbaconverter using the stereo setting, variable bit
rate, @44100kbps. So each song is 2,3,4,5 meg in length. Was surprised
they all fit. Quality remains to be heard.

thanks for the info,
savagcl
(clif)
I don't know if all mp3 players can actually play variable bit rate mp3's. You'll soon find out I guess :smile2:

Don't be surprised if this doesn't play in your friend's car cd player - chances are it's not an mp3 player at all - they are still very new on the market and are only now becoming main-stream in cars. Just about 2 years ago I was asking a car dealer if that was likely to ever come out and he said he'd not heard of them yet. Lots of things happen in 2 years, and technology does indeed move very fast, so here they are. The walkman-type mp3 cd-player which used to sell for $300 or more at first is now $29.99 and is sold in all drugstores and supermarkets it seems. Time for me to get one :D

savagcl
09-17-2004, 11:55 PM
Ah, well, i can always mark it up to the "learning curve" and re-create the cd
so it will be compatable. Just maybe not as much music on a single cd.....

thanks ChristinaS,
savagcl
(clif)

ChristinaS
09-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Ah, well, i can always mark it up to the "learning curve" and re-create the cd
so it will be compatable. Just maybe not as much music on a single cd.....

thanks ChristinaS,
savagcl
(clif)
Way to go! And you're welcome :D