PDA

View Full Version : Conversion to WMA error

Unregistered
09-16-2004, 07:49 AM
I just upgraded Windows Media Player to v. 10 - now when I use music converter to convert WAV or MP3 files to WMA I get the error message "the CODEC required to compress 'file name' could not be opened. Any thoughts?

xoas
09-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Does this happen with any other conversions (like wav to mp3 or vice versa)? Does it happen if you try to convert to some other wma setting?
I would try first uninstalling and reinstalling the wma v9 codec (through Add/Remove Programs from your Control Panel).
If that doesn't work you may have to uninstall and reinstall dMC and the wma v9 codec.
Keep in mind that you will receive this same error message if you request a conversion that the program cannot handle. In that case the problem will be fixed by selecting different bitrate (or sometimes frequency or channel) settings but uninstalling/reinstalling things won't make a difference. So you may want to try this out first.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Blearyeye
09-23-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm having the same problem. After installing Win Media Player 10, can't convert to .wma. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the codecs. Followed all 3 steps including rebooting. Still get the message that the required codec could not be opened.

-- Bill

xoas
09-23-2004, 07:59 PM
There are a number of ideas suggested in this thread:
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5792

The two things I would advise trying first:
1. converting using an a/v setting;
2. Rip a track to wma using dMC Audio CD Input, then see if that will enable use of wma codec within dMC.

Please let us know what you find out.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Kevin g
09-24-2004, 06:15 PM
I'm having the same difficulty and getting the same error message...

The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Gilmore\My Documents\My Music\Tears for Fears\Everybody Loves A Happy Ending\Tears For Fears - Size Of Sorrow.wma' could not be opened.

I've tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling. I've been to the link suggested and did the recommendations there but I'm still not able to get beyond this error message. This has all happened since I installed service pack 2 and upgraded my windows media player. I'd appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

Hey Christina...very cool to see you over here!

Kevin

Razgo
09-24-2004, 07:10 PM
when you upgraded to SP2 did you re install dmc ?

Kevin g
09-24-2004, 07:38 PM
Not initially. After encountering the problems I uninstalled it and downloaded the latest version with the wma codecs and reinstalled the programs. Still no luck. An odd thing I noticed too is that when I'd right click on a music file (before the problems) I'd see the dbpoweramp icon in my list of options and it no longer appears as it used to.

Kevin g

Razgo
09-24-2004, 07:42 PM
start-->programs-->dbpoweramp music converter-->configuration-->dmc configuration " and now select "convert to" on explorer right click.

also:

start-->programs-->dbpoweramp-->configuration-->file associations. then make sure WMA is associated.

ChristinaS
09-24-2004, 07:50 PM
I'm having the same difficulty and getting the same error message...

The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Gilmore\My Documents\My Music\Tears for Fears\Everybody Loves A Happy Ending\Tears For Fears - Size Of Sorrow.wma' could not be opened.

I've tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling. I've been to the link suggested and did the recommendations there but I'm still not able to get beyond this error message. This has all happened since I installed service pack 2 and upgraded my windows media player. I'd appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

Hey Christina...very cool to see you over here!

Kevin
Hi, Kevin! Nice seeing you again too.

You've got suckered into the SP2 mess, I see.

Well, as concerns seeing the dMC icon by right clicking on a file, go into dMC Configuration and make sure you enable all the checkboxes in the Windows Shell Integration section. If this doesn't work, then it's all due to other problems related to either SP2 or WMP 10 or both, and it seems everybody's scurrying about looking for a solution to this.

Razgo
09-24-2004, 07:57 PM
the thing is i am running XP pro SP2 and WMPv10 and haven't encountered these problems.

so it's harder for me to find a solution to a problem i cant recreate.

the "only" thing i did when going to SP2 was reinstall dmc and dap software.

the only other thing that hasnt been established here is what the conversion is from and to exactly.

this error will happen for example if For any WMA Pro, with the 5.1 channels - it will only compress if the source is 6 channels, a CD is only 2.

Kevin g
09-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Christina and Razgo...thanks for the help. I played around with it some more and it appears to be working fine now. I just tried to register my poweramp but I'm getting an error message. This is a great program! I'll be back to register it later.

Kevin

Razgo
09-24-2004, 08:12 PM
did you do one thing specifically that worked? so others can try the same thing.
i think Spoon is changing the price for the registration soon , so maybe thats why i don't know.

Kevin g
09-25-2004, 01:00 PM
I think I may have messed up the codecs as that's what the error message was telling me. I uninstalled and reinstalled a few times then, walla...it worked. Everything appears to be fine now. Thanks again.

Kevin g

ChristinaS
09-25-2004, 01:08 PM
I think I may have messed up the codecs as that's what the error message was telling me. I uninstalled and reinstalled a few times then, walla...it worked. Everything appears to be fine now. Thanks again.

Kevin g
Yesss! The best solution: if at first you don't succeed, try, try again :D

But honestly, uninstalling completely and redownloading and reinstalling & configuring carefully all components including codecs, usually seems to cure most dMC & dAP ailments.

Blearyeye
09-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Hmmm ... I uninstalled everything related to dmc and reinstalled. Same result. Any other ideas?

-- Bill

Unregistered
09-25-2004, 04:27 PM
I've had the same problem, but only on one computer (the one I use the most!!). The fix for me it was a shift to VBR conversion, tried it (worked), then back to CBR. After reseting the bitrate (which defaulted to 8 kbs mono) all has worked as usual.

ChristinaS
09-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Hmmm ... I uninstalled everything related to dmc and reinstalled. Same result. Any other ideas?

-- Bill
Ok, are you trying with the same input file all the time? Maybe it is protected or somehow corrupt or maybe it is a special type of mp3. Might it be mp3pro?

Try WMP with an audio CD (preferably an older commercial one, that is not likely to have copy-protection) and save just one track to basic wma, CBR at say 128Kbps. Make sure you're not using the Copy protect option in WMP Copy. If that works, then at least we know WMP can convert to basic wma.

Then try to convert the same track from the cd using dMC to the same type of basic wma file (use a different name), same settings. Don't try professional settings or any of that fancy stuff yet.

If that worked, then also try using dMC Audio CD Input and rip the same track to the same wma settings.

If all this works, we know that cda to wma works.

Rip the cd track to wav (2 channel stereo, 16-bit, 44.1KHz).

Convert this wav to wma cbr @ 128kbps using dMC.

Which if any of these settings worked?

If you managed to get a wav, convert it to mp3, cbr, 128kbps, normal quality (nothing fancy, again).

If that's ok, take this mp3 and convert it to wma CBR @128 kbps.

Did any of this work?

Blearyeye
09-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Hmmm ... wma vbr conversion works just fine. For cbr, I get the message that the codec can't be found; if I click ok, it goes ahead and does it anyway. Very strange.

-- Bill

Razgo
09-25-2004, 06:06 PM
what CBR setting? i will try the same and see what results i get.

Blearyeye
09-25-2004, 06:12 PM
what CBR setting? i will try the same and see what results i get.

64kbps, 44kHz, stereo cbr

Razgo
09-25-2004, 06:18 PM
hmmmm, ok i tried that setting and was ok for me. you are choosing from the drop down menu "windows media audio 9.1? and not the professional one?

apart from that i'm still not sure why it's not working 100% for you.

Razgo
09-25-2004, 06:22 PM
nevermind that last question as under pro you won't get that CBR option anyway. hmmm...

xoas
09-25-2004, 07:45 PM
64kbps, 44kHz, stereo cbr
Have you tried the 64kbs, 44kHz, stereo (A/V) cbr setting?