PDA

View Full Version : volume normalize??

obie
09-07-2004, 08:56 AM
ok im changing some of my mp3's to wma so it will fit on my mp3 player. but on the left hand lower corner, there is a option if i want to VOLUME NORMALIZE, what does that do? and is it recommended?

xoas
09-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Check out this from your help file"

Volume Normalize - perfect when creating an audio CD from unrelated tracks, there is nothing worse than having to constantly adjust the volume of your car CD player whilst driving along (not to mention dangerous too). Volume Normalize increases the volume of quiet tracks, so they all sound the same.

Stronger variations of Volume Normalization can be found and accessed through the Power Pack, if you have it.

If your tracks already seem to be roughly the same volume, you may want to avoid this option (especially if you have already used volume normalization in creating your mp3 files-it would not be out and out bad to do it again, it would just be redundant).
In judging whether it would help or not, be aware that some PC music players may employ a volume normalization feature for playback which might mask volume differences in the source tracks.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

savagcl
09-08-2004, 02:24 AM
MP3Gain is what i use, its free and will apply the same value to either
individual files or every song in a folder. It will also let you set the
normalization factor (i use 92).
You can find it here:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net

savagcl