PDA

View Full Version : Windows MP (7) error message

luiz.taddei
09-07-2004, 06:39 AM
Hi,

I have just started using the dMC soft and recorded songs from local radio station using wav format. Then I converted to mp3 format but WMP fails playing the file. It seems to connect to the Codec server but fails to locate whatever is necessary. Then I get the following error message: "The audio Codec identified by the formatat "marc" (I am translating from Portuguese) 55 is necessary for the execution of this file" and send me to MS. Funny message I get: We’re sorry, we were unable to service your request. As an option, you may visit any of the pages below for information about Microsoft services and products.

Help!

Luiz :vmad:

xoas
09-07-2004, 07:36 AM
It could be that you might need a newer version of WMP if your system will accomodate that. What settings are you using for your mp3 files? If they are very highly compressed (anything below about 96 kbs. or if they are encoded in variable bitrate or average bitrate formats or if they are encoded in any of the alt. preset settings) try creating an mp3 file at constant bitrate setting of say 128 or 192 kbs. and see if your WMP will play that.

Will WMP 7 play your recorded wav files? If so, another solution might be to use dMC to record your wav files and then convert them to mp3 using WMP.

If these ideas don't work, please let us know and we will see if we can come up with a better answer for your problems. Good luck and best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

luiz.taddei
09-08-2004, 03:53 AM
It could be that you might need a newer version of WMP if your system will accomodate that. What settings are you using for your mp3 files? If they are very highly compressed (anything below about 96 kbs. or if they are encoded in variable bitrate or average bitrate formats or if they are encoded in any of the alt. preset settings) try creating an mp3 file at constant bitrate setting of say 128 or 192 kbs. and see if your WMP will play that.

Will WMP 7 play your recorded wav files? If so, another solution might be to use dMC to record your wav files and then convert them to mp3 using WMP.

If these ideas don't work, please let us know and we will see if we can come up with a better answer for your problems. Good luck and best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen
Hi Bill,

Well, first let me correct my information. I am using WMP 9 Series (Version 9.00.00.2980).

About the settings of my mp3 files. I am just clicking on the MusicConverter icon and I suppose the program shoul do whatever is necessary. How can I change the MC settings?

My WMP plays the wav files but, according to MS's WMP site, to create mp3 files from wav files I need to purchase an add on, from another company. Correct me if I am wrong.

For the time being, I am using another ripper to convert wav files into mp3 format. But I must tell you that I would like to use Illustrate software only

Spoon
09-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Try the latest R11 of dMC (from the beta section of this forum).

xoas
09-08-2004, 11:14 AM
To find out what settings you have used to create your mp3 files, just look at the tag information for these converted files. Look at file size, playing time, bitrate, channels, frequency. Where you find the spot for bitrate it should also tell you if the file is vbr (Variable Bitrate) or AMR (Average Bitrate). Otherwise, you should be able to assume it is constant bitrate (although WMP v9 shouldn't have any problems with with variable or average bitrate files).

So it would be helpful to know what this tag information is like for the files that are not converting. It may be that you are creating mp3 files which the WMP mp3 decoder codec is not designed to read.

You are correct about needing to install another codec for WMP to create mp3 files. My apologies for not having known that. WMP is apparently able to read mp3 files but not to create them without paying for the mp3 encoder codec. If you do have an mp3 file from another source, it might be useful to make sure whether your version of WMP will play mp3 files from other sources.

One other idea would be to convert your wav files to wma. The v9 codecs for wma represent a considerable improvement over prior versions and it now has options for lossless encoding (best quality but largest files) and many other options.

Please let us know how you make out with these ideas (and do give Spoon's suggestion a try too although I am not fully sure if the current r11 dMC beta supports mp3 out of he box or whether you now have to have the Power Pack to use mp3 (since Spoon is being compelled to pay to support mp3 in his programs by the license holder)). This is a change that is in the works but I am not sure whether it has yet been implemented.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

luiz.taddei
09-09-2004, 01:35 AM
To find out what settings you have used to create your mp3 files, just look at the tag information for these converted files. Look at file size, playing time, bitrate, channels, frequency. Where you find the spot for bitrate it should also tell you if the file is vbr (Variable Bitrate) or AMR (Average Bitrate). Otherwise, you should be able to assume it is constant bitrate (although WMP v9 shouldn't have any problems with with variable or average bitrate files).

So it would be helpful to know what this tag information is like for the files that are not converting. It may be that you are creating mp3 files which the WMP mp3 decoder codec is not designed to read.

You are correct about needing to install another codec for WMP to create mp3 files. My apologies for not having known that. WMP is apparently able to read mp3 files but not to create them without paying for the mp3 encoder codec. If you do have an mp3 file from another source, it might be useful to make sure whether your version of WMP will play mp3 files from other sources.

One other idea would be to convert your wav files to wma. The v9 codecs for wma represent a considerable improvement over prior versions and it now has options for lossless encoding (best quality but largest files) and many other options.

Please let us know how you make out with these ideas (and do give Spoon's suggestion a try too although I am not fully sure if the current r11 dMC beta supports mp3 out of he box or whether you now have to have the Power Pack to use mp3 (since Spoon is being compelled to pay to support mp3 in his programs by the license holder)). This is a change that is in the works but I am not sure whether it has yet been implemented.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

luiz.taddei
09-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Sorry Bill, pressed the wrong button and sent your last answer...

I am converting using constant bitrate and source radio.

WMp does not reproduce mp3's even from other sources (mp3 files created by another ripper. Winamp plays everything, so I decided to use this software.

I've dowloaded the Power Pack (just pressed the button on the converter window). The Codec I've installed was WM9Codecs9x.

I think everythig works fine once my option is not to use WMP, which seems to be a good idea...

Another doubt: When I convert wav files or generate mp3 files from the source (radio) two options are presented Lame and Lame.exe. I really don't know what is the difference.

Regards,

Luiz :o

xoas
09-09-2004, 09:56 AM
WMp does not reproduce mp3's even from other sources
Do you mean it will not play mp3's from other sources? I find this surprising since my version of WMP 9 will play mp3 files, just not convert them. When you say your mp3 files are recorded at constant bitrate, "source radio", are you saying that you are using the Radio preset for mp3? I did make the interesting discovery that my version of WMP would not play an mp3 file I converted using the "radio" preset (I got an error message saying the file would not initialize), even though it will definitely play other other mp3 files, including a file encoded at a cbr of 128 kbs. So if your mp3 files are all encoded the same as the ones you created using dBpowerAMP Music Converter (even though you used a different conversion program for some of them) then it may still be the case that your WMP will play mp3 files (whether created by dMC or any other program) as long as they are encoded in a more "regular" bitrate.

Short of that, you do have the other options you and I have outlined:
1. Pay for and use one of the mp3 codecs for WMP (which might do a better job of reading "atypical" mp3 settings);
2. Convert your wav files to wma format to play in WMP;
3. Use a different player that will play mp3's.

While WMP and WinAmp each have many nice features, if you are going to consider switching to a different audio player program you may want to consider the dBpowerAMP Audio Player which is a free download. It does not have some of the fancier features that WinAmp and WMP have (especially visualizations) but it does give you the ability to play music in a wide variety of formats, and, in my opinion, it gives you a superior audio quality.

When I convert wav files or generate mp3 files from the source (radio) two options are presented Lame and Lame.exe. I really don't know what is the difference.
The technical explanation of the Lame.exe codec (as found in the Help file for this codec which you have installed on your computer) is:

This encoder is for those who want to pass special command line options to lame.exe (dMC uses Lame_enc.dll which does not give access to all options). First off look in dMC Configuration for the Lame.exe version number supplied, it is possible to replace \dbpoweramp\compression\mp3 (lame.exe)\lame.exe to any later version. Typical commands might be: --preset insane or --preset abr 256 or --preset cbr 256
Now I don't claim to understand a lot of this except for the following:
the Lame.exe codec provides a wider variety of settings for mp3 Lame files;
but you need to know your stuff to make use of this. My advice is that unless you know your stuff (or want to learn), you are best off with the regular Lame codec rather than the Lame.exe codec.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

luiz.taddei
09-16-2004, 12:16 AM
Dear Bill,

It seems that the problem was caused by an old program previously installed: Music Match Box, which was my mp3 ripper. I have uninstalled it and everything is working now.

WMp opens mp3 converted from wave or genwerated as it.

I will make some more tests and will consider the possibility of purchasing the program (dBpoweramp).

Thank you for your help and sorry for anything.

Sincerelly,

Luiz

xoas
09-16-2004, 03:32 AM
No need to be sorry about anything. Glad to be of service.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen