PDA

View Full Version : How do I convert MP4 to MP3 in a batch file?

Unregistered
08-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Okay, I am sure this is a lame question, since I see references to "CLI" and "command line" all over the place in the forum and in the configuration tool. But nowhere am I able to see how to call the Music Converter in a batch file to convert an MP4 to an MP3.

I know I have codecs that can do this, because I'm able to do it interactively using Convert To. Here are some of the codecs I have (the ones I think are relevant):

Write:
--- FAAC Mp3 (CLI) - Release 1 (libfaac v1.23.5)
--- Mp3 (Lame) - Lame Version 3.93.1 (Dibrom's switches)

Read:
--- AAC Decoder
--- Mp4 Decoder

Any help you can give me with this would be appreciated. Thanks!

xoas
08-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Usually batch conversions are managed through the dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) File Selector. This is a separate module which you download and install from the dMC site (see the link above in Quick Links), if you have not already done so. This allows you to select folders and/or subfolders of audio files and convert them (in this case from mp4 to mp3).
If you have already tried this or if you are having problems with this, please let us know.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Unregistered
08-31-2004, 01:00 AM
Usually batch conversions are managed through the dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) File Selector .... This allows you to select folders and/or subfolders of audio files and convert them (in this case from mp4 to mp3).

Bill -
Thanks for your quick response. The File Converter still has a GUI. I am looking for a command-line interface, so I can put a line in my batch file that reads something like:
C:\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\MusicConverter.exe D:\MySongFile.mp4 MySongFile.mp3and it will perform the conversion. That way, my batch file can perform other steps for me before and after the conversion.

Does this sort of functionality exist?
zahid

xoas
08-31-2004, 03:25 AM
As of a year ago, Spoon indicated that batch conversions could not be handled through a command line interface, the nearest that dMC comes to that is to allow you to develop your own scripting for doing this. If this has changed, I will expect that Spoon or some other user who prefers a non-gui interface will let us know. In the meantime, you could look in the Developers section of this site here:
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/developer-scripting-dmc.htm
or through the link at the top of this page.
Best wishes,
Bill mikkelsen

xoas
08-31-2004, 03:51 AM
You might also want to check out this thread in the Developers forum section which looks like it gives an example of how to do what you are trying to do:
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2917

Spoon
08-31-2004, 05:59 AM
It is possible, you just need to write a .vbs file containing the commands to convert.

Unregistered
08-31-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks ... I didn't realize that dMC exposed a COM object, so this should be perfect. After I've worked on it a bit, I may come back with questions on how to interact with the codecs, but otherwise I think I'm good to go. Thanks a lot for the response, and the great product!

hans-jürgen
09-10-2004, 05:30 PM
I am looking for a command-line interface, so I can put a line in my batch file that reads something like:
C:\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\MusicConverter.exe D:\MySongFile.mp4 MySongFile.mp3and it will perform the conversion. That way, my batch file can perform other steps for me before and after the conversion.
Probably you would need the command line version of FAAD2, the open source AAC decoder from Audiocoding.com. You can download a weekly snapshot of the source code there or a Windows binary at RareWares.org. Simply piping the FAAD2 output to e.g. LAME will loose the existing MP4 tags though, so maybe using a transcoder GUI makes more sense or at least an additional CLI tagger in your batch. Speek's Multi frontend would provide such a batch converter tool with GUI.