PDA

View Full Version : wma-mp3, encryption error

Unregistered
08-26-2004, 03:13 PM
I have downloaded all codecs to decode wma, yet am still unable to convert wma to mp3. My question is simply, what are the codecs for, then? Is this because my wma music is copy protected? If so, it seems as though all my wma music is copy protected, as I get this encryption error message on every wma file I try. Since it is reasonable to assume that any cds that are ripped via windows media player, and thus into wma files, than why is there a codec allowing decoding of wma, when that is pointless since all wma are protected? Just a bit confused. Sorry if you get this all the time.
~Ethan

xoas
08-26-2004, 09:32 PM
I'm sure its confusing and frustrating. However, not all wma files are encrypted. Windows Media Player has allowed users to make unencrypted copies of audio files, although uyp to Version 7 (I believe) the default setting was to encrypt files. This has not been the case since version 8 of Windows Media Player. Hence, there is a use for a codec to handle wma files.
To add to the frustration and confusion, it is not apparent to many users that wma files from most, if not all, of the "legitimate" (e.g. pay for music) download sites are encrypted or otherwise copy-protected (nor is this unique to wma files from these sites).
As to why you cannot convert your wma files, if every file you try gives you the error message about being unable to convert encrypted files, then yes your problem is encryption. If you should sometimes get other error messages, please share them with us because based on your post I cannot guarantee that you might not have some other problem as well.
You will also find information in these forums for possible work-arounds to convert encrypted files. You might want to start here:
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5362
which is in the FAQ section of this forum.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen