PDA

View Full Version : Can I improve the quality?

Unregistered
08-21-2004, 06:02 PM
How to improve the quality of a track? Real improvement may not be possible, but how to do it at least artificially?

Spoon
08-22-2004, 08:14 AM
You cannot, once quality has gone, it is gone for good.

xoas
08-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Real improvement may not be possible, but how to do it at least artificially?
It sort of depends on what qualities you are concerned about. You can enhance or diminish the audio spectrum of a track on playback simply by using an equalizer. There are other programs that will allow you to edit various charecteristics of audio files and soem claim to be able to remove hiss and pop from tracks recorded from lp record albums (although the few that I have tried have not been totally effective). I find that even the simple versions of these programs require a fair bit of time and effort although I have used some with some success to cut out skips in tracks recorded from lps. I have Nero Wave Editor and Voyetra Audio Surgeon (both came as demo versions with hardware-cd-rw drive and sound card, respectively). Other users have suggested Audacity which is a free download. For more on this program visit:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Unregistered
08-22-2004, 03:30 PM
I had downloaded “Wave Pad” and “Audacity” some time back, but never tried earlier. Yesterday I spent some time experimenting with them, and found that small improvements can be made by use of the various features in them. I tried equalizer, echo (very small delay), amplification, normalization, etc. and could make some improvement. The resultant copy is OK for casual or background listening. As Spoon mentioned, quality gone is gone for good, and the copy is not good for meditative listening.

Since the process is tedious and time consuming, it is good for rarest of rare cases only.

Thanks, Bill and Spoon.