PDA

View Full Version : How can I convert sound files on my IPAQ to MP3?

cmbhome
08-20-2004, 08:34 AM
I recorded some sound files on my IPAQ 2210. This syncs to my desktop and appears in my Outlook Notes folder as an Outlook sound file, with a Microphone/Sine Wave icon.

I want to burn these sound files to CD. But they're stored in a .msg format.

When I browse to the file and click on DBPowerAmp "Convert to" I get a message box:

"Unknown file type '.msg'. Support for this file type might be downloaded - visit www.dbpoweramp.com >> Downloads >> Codec Central"

Any ideas, anyone?

ChristinaS
08-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Windows considers .msg to be the extension of an Outlook email message. It is a simple text file, often containign HTML code in it, or other formatting commands. It usually comes in several parts, som which may not be human readable. It can be opened in Notepad.

What your your IPAQ 2210 is creating is probably an audio file (maybe of type .au) which is embedded in the text of the .msg file. I'm sure you can find an actual audio file type referenced in the body of the .msg file if you open it with Notepd.

You'll probably find in there some lines that appear like this:

<BGSOUND balance=3D0=20
src=3D"cid:000501c48656$55af2e70$6400a8c0@somename" volume=3D-600>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C48634.CEA52F90
Content-Type: audio/mid;
name="filename.mid"

The BGSOUND specifies a background sound to be played while viewing the message. The second part lower down gives the name of the audio file and below that you have the actual contents of the audio file in non-human readable format.

In my test I embedded a midi file into an email (using Format>Background>Sound) and this is what the result was. I could have embedded almost any type of audio file and it would given a similar result.

What this means is that it may be possible to physically separate the media file from the message file, but you'll need a program to do it safely. I don't know how this could be done.

The easiest thing would be to use dMC Auxiliary Input to capture the sound to wav (or a compressed format), start recording and open right away that .msg file in Outlook which will act as your media player here. Stop recording when the audio has stoppped playing.