PDA

View Full Version : Bug in QueMaster?

dbample
08-11-2004, 05:58 AM
Donny,

Thanks for the 1.2 version update of QueMaster!! I have been using your program regularly for many months now and I find it very helpful.

Alas, here is a bug that appears in two different ways on two different setups I have:

I use QueMaster 1.1 and now 1.2 on a laptop running WindowsXP now, and used to run QueMaster 1.0 and 1.1 on a different laptop runing Windows 2000 before.

To use QueMaster and MMC, I log on as administrator on WindowsXP, but was logging on as a user on Windows2000 before.

From time to time, as I am using QueMaster on the WindowsXP laptop, I get an error message from QueMaster saying something like "Error, could not write C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Administrator.Enqued". The message on the Windows2000 laptop was "Error, could not write C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\[username].Enqued".

OK. On Windows2000, I just had to click "OK" to close the error messaeg window, and continue as before. The queue was not affected. I typically would have 10-15 or more songs queued at that point, juggling them from QueMaster without a problem. So the error did not have any adverse effect except as an annoyance as a pop-up window (sometimes several would pop up before I close them all if I am not monitoring the computer closely). So I didn't report it, out of laziness, I suppose.

However - on my current WindowsXP with QueMaster 1.2 setup, this error message can have random ill effects - once my entire queue disappeared, and most recently the song that was playing got repeated as if it was still on top of the queue - perhaps because it was there when the error message popped up and QueMaster did not update the queue when the song started playing seconds later.

Could you shed some light on this, please? Is there a way to fix this?

Many thanks!

donny
08-13-2004, 06:32 AM
well maybe the later version will be better but it is (more or less) a problem with the OS and sharing the .enqued file with dAP. If QM and dAP try to write the file ate the same time one of them gets kicked out, and then you get that message... and of course the file is not saved as it should be... a little later (I think a second) QM will rewrite the file... but it can happen that QM can also reload the file that dAP just saved...
so it can be confuzing... but without full integration it is imposible to avoid this kind of behavior, and integration will not happen... but I probably can improve how QM handles this...

anyway hope that I was not too confuzing... if I was unclear please ask more...

dbample
08-13-2004, 05:31 PM
well maybe the later version will be better but it is (more or less) a problem with the OS and sharing the .enqued file with dAP. If QM and dAP try to write the file ate the same time one of them gets kicked out, and then you get that message... and of course the file is not saved as it should be... a little later (I think a second) QM will rewrite the file... but it can happen that QM can also reload the file that dAP just saved...
so it can be confuzing... but without full integration it is imposible to avoid this kind of behavior, and integration will not happen... but I probably can improve how QM handles this...

anyway hope that I was not too confuzing... if I was unclear please ask more...

Thanks, Donny. I understand, but let me follow up. I am concerned that on my new laptop with WindowsXP this error causes loss of the queue or other random errors that mess up my queue of songs. Is there anything I can do to keep the queue the way it was? Or, to put it another way, why does it mess up the queue now whereas it was not messing it up on WindowsME before? Is this a clue to what might be going wrong and how to alleviate it on the user side, until you can think of something better for the new version?

Thanks !!