PDA

View Full Version : question

Unregistered
08-01-2004, 03:37 AM
Does a CD lose quality when it is burned into another CD?

Spoon
08-01-2004, 03:47 AM
Not if you ripped it to a lossless format (or went from Audio CD Input >> Rip to >> CD Writer).

Unregistered
08-01-2004, 05:09 AM
I mean when you just burn another copy and don't rip it.

ChristinaS
08-01-2004, 05:33 AM
I mean when you just burn another copy and don't rip it.

I suppose that by "rip" Spoon also means straight copy.

If you are making an exact copy of a cd there shouldn't be any deterioration unless your burner is acting up.

xoas
08-01-2004, 05:37 AM
From one copy to another there should not be any loss of quality with decent equipment and decent blank cd-r's. As you are probably aware, a cd copied to cd format to a regular cdr disc may fail to play on many cd players and a copy burned to a cd-rw disc will not play on most cd players. This does not have anything to do with the audio qualities of the copy.
If you copied a cd and copied another from the first cd and so forth for a very large number of times you might well find loss of audio quality between the first and last cd's even though you would probably not notice any difference between any cd in the series and the cd it was copied from or the cd that was copied from it. But this is really a theoretical statement on my part reflecting my suspicion that computers and cd's are not entirely perfect at duplicating audio information. But they are certainly better than say wax cylinders or magnetic tape.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

ChristinaS
08-01-2004, 07:05 AM
From one copy to another there should not be any loss of quality with decent equipment and decent blank cd-r's. As you are probably aware, a cd copied to cd format to a regular cdr disc may fail to play on many cd players and a copy burned to a cd-rw disc will not play on most cd players. This does not have anything to do with the audio qualities of the copy.
If you copied a cd and copied another from the first cd and so forth for a very large number of times you might well find loss of audio quality between the first and last cd's even though you would probably not notice any difference between any cd in the series and the cd it was copied from or the cd that was copied from it. But this is really a theoretical statement on my part reflecting my suspicion that computers and cd's are not entirely perfect at duplicating audio information. But they are certainly better than say wax cylinders or magnetic tape.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

I don't know how old you are Bill, but I remember as a child that we used to copy a vinyl record to a reel-to-reel tape recorder by using the tape-recorder's regular microphone placed in front of the phonograph's speaker and hoping that there would be no loud noises from anywhere during that process. Also hoping we'd be able to quickly lift the phonograph arm and skip over the scratched tracks without it being too noticeable. No line-out and line-in, no equalizers and stuff like that. We did the same to record from the radio, hoping there'd be no static. Even back then the recording industry was complaining about the "prevalence" of copying of recordings in this manner. Some things never change. Yes, I am THAT old! :D

xoas
08-01-2004, 09:33 AM
I remember the reel to reel but I had forgotten about trying to copy records using a microphone. Mostly we thought that lps were the permanent record (no pun intended). But yes, I am about that old too!!!

Craze
08-02-2004, 02:01 AM
I don't know how old you are Bill, but I remember as a child that we used to copy a vinyl record to a reel-to-reel tape recorder by using the tape-recorder's regular microphone placed in front of the phonograph's speaker and hoping that there would be no loud noises from anywhere during that process. Also hoping we'd be able to quickly lift the phonograph arm and skip over the scratched tracks without it being too noticeable. No line-out and line-in, no equalizers and stuff like that. We did the same to record from the radio, hoping there'd be no static. Even back then the recording industry was complaining about the "prevalence" of copying of recordings in this manner. Some things never change. Yes, I am THAT old! :D
Not to dilute the original post...I've been there. Recording was one of my favorite hobbies and it was just as you stated. Maybe that's why I keep putting in useable working VU's like the old tape recorders used in my skins.
Now if we weren't all operating from behind avitars, but using our own faces, we'd have a good idea how old our fellow users were. ;)

Craze

ChristinaS
08-02-2004, 04:23 AM
Now if we weren't all operating from behind avitars, but using our own faces, we'd have a good idea how old our fellow users were. ;)

Craze
Hehehe! precisely why avatars are so useful - keep'm guessing! :D

Unregistered
08-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Here's what's really going on. As the starter of this topic, here's my situation:

I have a few CD's and an MP3 player. I wanted to rip the CD's to MP3 format, but then I learned that CD's can lose quality when they are ripped to MP3 format. So I decided to burn a copy of the original CD, and rip the tracks from that one. But then I asked myself - "Do CD's lose quality when they are burned too?" So that is one of my questions, and hopefully someone will answer it. My second question is - " Does the burned CD have the same quality as the original CD, or is it slightly different?"

Any answers would be appreciated.

Craze
08-02-2004, 10:26 AM
"Do CD's lose quality when they are burned too?" So that is one of my questions, and hopefully someone will answer it. My second question is - " Does the burned CD have the same quality as the original CD, or is it slightly different?"

Any answers would be appreciated.
The answer is...the burned CD of your original is an exact copy. It will have the same quality.
I think that's what Spoon, Christina, and Xoas were trying to say.

More info here in Spoon's Audio Guide: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide-formats.htm

Unregistered
08-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Thank you, kind sir.