PDA

View Full Version : Ripping

margiewv
07-19-2004, 03:16 AM
Is there any way to rip a CD that I downloaded from a music site, it is the entire album, and said it was, but it only has one track.

Thanks
Margie

ChristinaS
07-19-2004, 04:23 AM
Is there any way to rip a CD that I downloaded from a music site, it is the entire album, and said it was, but it only has one track.

Thanks
Margie
How big is this file you downloaded? What is the extension? If it were a whole album's worth it would be in the order of 600MB or even more.

I'd recommend first you scan this file for any possible viruses just in case.

xoas
07-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Your downloaded album was probably ripped with a "rip as one" option. This means that the file has no gaps (you cannot play separate tracks or tracks out of order). If your downloaded album was already converted to mp3 or wma or other compressed format it is probably well short of the 600 mb file size that ChristinaS. mentionned. If you want to keep this file with the whole album as a single track you should be fine. Re-ripping could run into a problem with copy protection even if you are only wanting to rip from mp3 to wma, say. Also, if you want to convert your single file album to separate tracks for each cut, then you may need some additional help. So let us know what you're hoping to accomplish and we can better advise you on your options (and yes, do scan your downloaded file for viruses before you do anything else with this file).
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

margiewv
07-20-2004, 01:47 PM
The album is Eat A Peach by The Allman Bros. Band. Type is MP3 Audio, extension is mp3 length m:ss: 6:57, size 65580KB, original size 723010KB, it was done with a compression ration of 11 to 1 (9%), level is mpeg1, layer 3, bit rate 138, mode:joint-stereo and channels 2. I know all the songs are on this downloaded file because I have listened to it. I would like to be able to rip it so that I would have the capability of skipping tracks if I wanted to. All of my files are scanned by norton's before they are downloaded. Thanks for your help.

Margie

xoas
07-20-2004, 02:29 PM
What you will need to do is to be able to separate the tracks. You could play the album (say through Windows Media Player) and record each track separately off of you sound card using dB Music Converter Auxilary Input. Or you could separate your tracks using an audio editing program. Or you could convert your mp3 album to wav, burn it to a cd and re-rip each track separately using dMC and the Rip as One option, if you have the Power Pack installed. I believe you will find the instructions you need on recording from your sound card using Auxilary Input elsewhere in this forum. The last option in many ways strikes me as the most painless, although this may be due to my unfamiliarity with the process for using Auxilary Input to record from the sound card.
If you need more detailed instructions, please let us know.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Hyrize
07-20-2004, 03:19 PM
if you have Nero, it's not that hard to split your single file up into a number of different tracks. Simply get the properties of your track, then there is a "Index, Limit, and Split" tab, all you gotta do here is selected where you want to split the track!:thumbup: (i spose other buring software can do this too)
Now when you burn your CD it will now have tracks and then you can simply rip it with power amp

ChristinaS
07-20-2004, 08:36 PM
If your downloaded album was already converted to mp3 or wma or other compressed format it is probably well short of the 600 mb file size that ChristinaS. mentionned.
LOL, it never even occurred to me the term "rip" can be used other than on an audio cd! I thought he'd downloaded the cd's image file! A senior moment on my part, that's all :o

Carry on :D

xoas
07-21-2004, 03:44 AM
Re: Hyrize's suggestion (post 6 in this thread):
You can also do something similar from dMC by reconverting each track using the Trim DSP from the Power Pack. The short-coming of that method is that you have no way to preview the track before you convert it and you have to do the math as to where to start and stop. Nero may be rather more clever in this respect.