PDA

View Full Version : Broadcast Wave Format (RIFF LIST INFO)

Unregistered
07-14-2004, 07:06 PM
After much fruitless searching I've come to the conclusion that dBpowerAMP Music Converter is the only utility that seems to support BWF format, but in mp2 format??

I have need of a method of putting file name information into a standard PCM .wav file in the RIFF LIST fields of "Display Title" and "Original Artist" from a filename format of "Artist - Title.wav".

I wish to do this while ripping a CD to an uncompressed .wav or after I have already ripped it.

Currently using my present ripping software, if the CD info is not available on Freedb, I need to enter the artist and title information once while naming the tracks and again enter the information into the appropriate RIFF fields while editing tops and tails (Intro's and Outro's), and intro and secondary (Segue) info in Cool Edit 1.2a or Adobe Audition.

I, like many professional broadcasters am making the move to playing audio from uncompressed .wav files rather than using any form of compression.

Anyone have any suggestions?

To get a clearer understanding of where I'm coming from, the file's Artist and Title information need to be able to be read in this freeware program at http://www.bsiusa.com/software/info_edit/info_editor.htm which is in the format that I'm intending to use (as specified before, uncompressed PCM)

Any help is appreciated.

Chris Diack in New Zealand diack@xtra.co.nz

Spoon
07-15-2004, 05:08 AM
It is something I have been wanting to add for a while, but the demand for it (or lack)hasn't helped.

Unregistered
07-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Spoon, I believe that, once this facility (provisionally) is initiated and the word gets around the appropriate professional broadcast community, there will be much interest in this format, should you choose to support it, as many broadcasters are now making use of the low cost of hard drive space and using uncompressed audio to provide the maximum quality in a "less than perfect" compressed audio marketplace. I found your site after much searching for the nearest thing to anyone accomodating the RIFF/BWF format and a word in the right forums will provide an onslaught of folks wanting to avoid paying for the somewhat proprietory software provided by BSI at $199 (US) a shot. As a matter of interest, is there anyone else producing a ripper designed to insert RIFF info into .wav files based on a "Artist - Title.wav" format? For those who are dealing in the professional audio playout business here's a thread from a Pro broadcast software provider's site with some comment re compressed v/s uncompressed audio. http://www.bsiusa.com/support/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1438

Chris in New Zealand diack@xtra.co.nz