PDA

View Full Version : After XP Upgrade, CD rip speed is 3 times as long

thephosphorbox
07-06-2002, 07:38 AM
Hi everyone,

I upgraded to XP Pro from Windows ME a while back and have been having this problem ever since. I used to be able to rip a whole CD to LAME or WMA in a few minutes, now since the upgrade it can take upwards of 20 minutes to perform the same operation. I've tried tweaking settings and upgrading to the latest version but to no avail.

Both my 40x CD and my burner both exhibit the same problem. One thing I have noticed is that when ripping, the CDs do not spin up to speed. Meaning under WinME my CD Rom drive always sounded like an airplane engine while ripping, under XP it doesn't make a peep. Seems like the CD is spinning at about 4x or so.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit : I just remembered that I forgot to mention that it takes approximately 5 to 6 minutes to convert a single CD track to a WAV file whereas under WinME it took less than a minute.

Spoon
07-06-2002, 09:50 AM
Make sure you don't have the 'Slow Accurate Ripping' option set in dMC.

Bring up device manager and get proporties for your CD drive - you might be able to enable DMA.

Bring up the dMC Audio CD Configuration and make sure - 2000/NT Device IO is selected.

thephosphorbox
07-07-2002, 09:23 AM
Completed all of those checks, no changes :(

Spoon
07-07-2002, 01:03 PM
Perhaps you could try the link in CD AUdio Support for CD Speed - you might need to run that program to punch the speed of the drive up.

June
07-07-2002, 05:28 PM
I haven't been using the dbpoweramp convertor (release 9) to rip cd's for very long, but it seems to take about 30 minutes. I'm not sure if that's right or not, but it's certainly faster than the old-fashioned way I used to do things.

I'm running an AMD 1.2ghz w 768mb ram, Windows 2000, 52x cdrom and I'm ripping to mp3 at 80kbps stereo @44khz, very high quality, at constant bitrate. I have the 'slow accurate ripping' unchecked, and the rip speed is set to 'max'

Is there anything else I can do to tweak up transfer time ?

Thanks !

~~ June

MODatic
07-07-2002, 08:04 PM
If you have the Power Pack installed, you can enable Rip to Ram and Rip & Encode through the power button in Audio CD Input and that'll improve speeds.

June
07-08-2002, 06:20 PM
Thanks MODatic ! That did seem to increase the speed about 25%.

However after I closed the program, I found that it had attached 400mb of RAM, something I thought didn't happen under Windows 2000. I had to close down and restart to get it cleared. I'll try fiddling with it some more to see if it keeps doing that.

~~ June