PDA

View Full Version : Track 1 Track 2 etc

dyet
07-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Hi

Just a new user to CD Writer...

I am buring FLAC songs to Audio CD.

When I que up the FLAC songs in the CDwriter, How do I rename the songs?...because when I burn them to an Audio CD i just get 'Track 1'... 'Track 2' etc...it doesn't appear to take the file name.

Thanks for the help!

D

Spoon
07-09-2004, 05:37 AM
What type of audio CD are you creating, a 'Standard Audio CD' or a data cd containing the flac files.

dyet
07-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Just a standard Audio CD....

Spoon
07-09-2004, 06:30 AM
The only way to add such text is through CD-Text, you would need a compatible burner and compatible program (CD Writer cannot write CD-Text).

ChristinaS
07-10-2004, 03:48 AM
The only way to add such text is through CD-Text, you would need a compatible burner and compatible program (CD Writer cannot write CD-Text).
Nero has to doohdads to add text .... and then it doesn't get displayed in regular players. I have gone through thsi exercise in futility numerous times, it seems I get carried away and put tons of details there only to have my audio cd's display simply as track 1.... track n in whatever player I actually end up using after that. I haven't bothered to try to figure out who is the culprit, but I think Spoon may have just given me the answer: my burner! I suppose next time I buy a cheap burner I may try to find out if it supports that. Not that I'd pay a premium for such a feature - it would only be a determining factor in my decision of which one to buy. Nice to have, but not a must - for me at least.

It would avoid the weird result of having a totally different track and album information displayed at times - when this information comes from the internet album database. This happens a lot with burnt audio cd's - as they somehow identify with something totally different based on I don't know what criteria: song length? bit-rate? some bit pattern in teh wav? Especially funny (or not) when a song is my daughter's own recorded composition and it's identified as some rap stuff which it has nothing in common with LOL!

Dave P
08-05-2004, 03:41 AM
Ive come here looking for ways round this sort of problem. In my case I have a lot of .wma files copied to my drive by Mediaplayer. Some were not found in the data base and titles had to be entered by hand - tediously! Some were identified by a data base, and I presume this is why there is a 'thumbs.db' file with the tracks inside the album folder.
I am currently using Roxio software to burn audio cds. They play on stereo etc, but even though the Roxio software tells me they contain cd text, Media player and W. Explorer can only see untitled tracks on these discs. To confuse the picture I have discovered that if I select to burn an enhanced audio cd and copy the thumbs.db file to the data section I can sometimes get a disc on which Mediaplayer and Explorer can see track titles. I can reload these discs into my media library as long as I manually create an album folder, in an artist folder, in My Music. At other times I can't finish the burn because the .db file doesnt copy.
The thing is, I really want to conserve this information. The reason I'm burning lots of discs at the moment is partly to back up my collection - a big thing right now as I very nearly had to have the machine wiped last week after catching "double pneumonia with full complications". The prospect of sitting in front of a new installation of windows with thousands of untitled tracks to reenter is terrifying.
I'm planning to give the poweramp software a try anyway, but having found this thread I have to ask " Do you have a way to produce discs bearing track info which can be generally read, at least by Explorer?"

ChristinaS
08-05-2004, 04:36 AM
Ive come here looking for ways round this sort of problem. In my case I have a lot of .wma files copied to my drive by Mediaplayer. Some were not found in the data base and titles had to be entered by hand - tediously! Some were identified by a data base, and I presume this is why there is a 'thumbs.db' file with the tracks inside the album folder.
I am currently using Roxio software to burn audio cds. They play on stereo etc, but even though the Roxio software tells me they contain cd text, Media player and W. Explorer can only see untitled tracks on these discs. To confuse the picture I have discovered that if I select to burn an enhanced audio cd and copy the thumbs.db file to the data section I can sometimes get a disc on which Mediaplayer and Explorer can see track titles. I can reload these discs into my media library as long as I manually create an album folder, in an artist folder, in My Music. At other times I can't finish the burn because the .db file doesnt copy.
The thing is, I really want to conserve this information. The reason I'm burning lots of discs at the moment is partly to back up my collection - a big thing right now as I very nearly had to have the machine wiped last week after catching "double pneumonia with full complications". The prospect of sitting in front of a new installation of windows with thousands of untitled tracks to reenter is terrifying.
I'm planning to give the poweramp software a try anyway, but having found this thread I have to ask " Do you have a way to produce discs bearing track info which can be generally read, at least by Explorer?"
As far as I understand (and I apologize if I may be quite wrong here), the album/track info for audio cd's comes from the freedb database on the web (or possibly your own supplemental database on the computer that WMP may use), not from the wav files that were written to the audio cd as cda. If the track matches in some way information found there, then it gets reported as such - right or wrong. When your tracks are recreated from previously compressed files it will be very unlikely that the restored wav file which is burnt to the audio cd will be indetical in all respects to the one whose "signature" (for lack of a better word) is found on freedb. This will either not be identified or it may be identified with something quite different.

Dave P
08-05-2004, 10:33 PM
I understand that point (I think!) What concerns me most is not the fact that different players might not be able to read and display track info directly, but that I seem to be producing discs full of what windows Explorer sees as unnamed files, which implies that although I can play any given disc I could experience problems if I ever try to load more than one into memory at any given time. I can see this as a general filenaming issue and not just a music player problem.
I tend to think of Explorer as my touchstone because its part of windows and I'm never going to mess with it! So my question can be restated as " Is there a way label tracks, manually if necessary, so that when burnt to disc Explorer can find filenames? Or even a little piece of stand alone software that can locally create the the necessary type of data file?"

Wayne
08-05-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm sure that Windows Media Player and Explorer do not support CD-Text on audio CDs.

You could try using a program like CDAID or CDpie to store detailed information about your own audio cd within the file cdplayer.ini, which you could also back up.

Wayne

ChristinaS
08-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Well, we're sort of agreed that regular audio cd's don't have any extra information stored on them that can identify the tracks or anything else. Anything you may see displayed in some players comes from internet's freedb with dubious accuracy.

What you can do is create a mixed type of cd: part audio cd and part data cd.

The audio part of the cd will be the same: no identifying text.

The data part of the cd could allow you to store any textual information you like that can help you identify your cd. You can of course store more than text files. You can have images, videos, mp3 files, etc.

Such a mixed type cd may not be played in all ordinary cd players though. Modern ones usually can, I think as long as the audio part is at the beginning of the cd.

The program I use to burn such a cd is Nero. I assume Roxio can do this too. I don't know about dMC Cd Writer, I don't think I've seen the option anywhere, but I haven't looked too hard.

Wayne
08-06-2004, 02:41 AM
You are correct in your assumption that Roxio's Easy CD Creator can create mixed type cds. Your idea of mixed format cds didn't occur to me. Maybe all he needs to do is create a second (fairly small) non-audio section containing a single text file giving details of the tracks in the audio section.

If I was going to back up my collection of audio files I would just create standard data CDs and copy the existing files as is, possibly retaining the existing folder structure. It would be possible to use less cds that way.

However with some audio file formats (e.g. those bought on the internet) you would also have to ensure that you backed up any licence information at the same time otherwise you could find out after a system reinstall that they no longer play.

Wayne

Unregistered
08-07-2004, 11:45 PM
a complete newbie

so I am endeavouring to rip a few audio cds onto one mp3 cd
the audio cd's don't appear to have track ids, just track01.cda track02.cda etc etc

hey great - I found rename files on the dialogue so now I can call the tracks (for example) SpiceGirls01.mp3 SpiceGirls02.mp3 etc. Which I can if I choose to rename each individual track. I was hoping that I could somehow define a "master name" for this session then the tracks would automatically be named MasterName01 MasterName02 etc etc

Steve (steve@SPAMmeaNDDIE_stevehayes.co.uk)

Dave P
08-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Christina: The idea of including a standard text file in what Roxio calls an enhanced cd is so obvious that I'd never have thought of it - Well Done!
It would certainly keep the info with the cd without relying on my deteriorating handwriting, the down side of course is that I havent found a way to export the track names to word pad, and would therefore have to retype by hand. And of course no player could read it. Its so infuriating to be made to struggle like this.
Wayne: I hadnt realised that it would be possible to place .wma and .mp3 files on a data disc. Sounds as if this could be a way dorward for me. I'll try it and let you know. Thanks.

ChristinaS
08-09-2004, 09:21 AM
a complete newbie

so I am endeavouring to rip a few audio cds onto one mp3 cd
the audio cd's don't appear to have track ids, just track01.cda track02.cda etc etc

hey great - I found rename files on the dialogue so now I can call the tracks (for example) SpiceGirls01.mp3 SpiceGirls02.mp3 etc. Which I can if I choose to rename each individual track. I was hoping that I could somehow define a "master name" for this session then the tracks would automatically be named MasterName01 MasterName02 etc etc

Steve (steve@SPAMmeaNDDIE_stevehayes.co.uk)

You can use the program AF5 (http://www.fauland.com/af5.htm) to globally rename several files and alter parts of their file name structure. It's a bit tedious but in time you'll catch on.... That's all I can say ;)

ChristinaS
08-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Christina: The idea of including a standard text file in what Roxio calls an enhanced cd is so obvious that I'd never have thought of it - Well Done!
It would certainly keep the info with the cd without relying on my deteriorating handwriting, the down side of course is that I havent found a way to export the track names to word pad, and would therefore have to retype by hand. And of course no player could read it. Its so infuriating to be made to struggle like this.
Wayne: I hadnt realised that it would be possible to place .wma and .mp3 files on a data disc. Sounds as if this could be a way dorward for me. I'll try it and let you know. Thanks.
If your media files (wma, mp3, wav,...) have meaningful names to start with (not just ID tags) and they are organized in one or several folders, there is a very small and simple DOS command that will dump the folder's listing to a text file in the same folder.

Please see the attached file for a very quick such DOS impementation. You will have to unzip the file list_folder.zip to find the actual batch file list_folder.bat. You copy this file to your folder whose listing you want to collect. In Windows Explorer you then double click on this file name and, when it's finished, the file zz_folder.txt will have been created and it will contain the listing of the file names of your folder. That file can be edited with Notepad or other editors.

Dave P
08-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Thank you for that Christina. I dont normally use DOS because in general I dont know what I'm doing, but I'll try this before long. Might as well try for a better grip on the subject!
For now Waynes suggestion (another one that I should have thought of for myself) seems to solve my immediate concerns. Straight forward copying from My Music to a data disc retains all the information in a manner that the Windows software can read. Best of all, its very quick. So I just make a small group of backup discs for the PC, and any audio discs I want for portable players, an application where writing the contents on the back is fine by me. Sorted. Thanks to you both.