PDA

View Full Version : limit to music collection?

bbooska
07-03-2004, 05:13 PM
I recently had a crash and it appears to have fried"my music collection" the program, as all fields are gone but 2,track and genre ,with horizontal red lines where the other info used to be.all the music still plays fine,just the info is missing,even the name of the field at the top is gone.

should i just reinstall or are there some settings somewhere that got changed?

if i need to reinstall whats the correct order to install all the different parts of dbpoweramp(amp,powerpack,converter,cdwriter etc)

While i got your ear, I have read here somewhere ,but can no longer find,that there is a practical limit to the number of songs you can have in your music collection..
can anyone tell me what that number is and what happens when you pass it?

Thanx

Unregistered
07-04-2004, 06:21 AM
Hell-o-o-o anybody out there...? ;)

xoas
07-04-2004, 06:31 AM
Personally, I am not aware of an definite limit to MMC.

As to your crash, you might try to see what, if anything works. If dMC works but MMC is "Fried" you might try just reinstalling dAP (of which MMC is part). If asked, uninstall dAP first and then reinstall.

Anyway, try out your programs. Make a note of what works and what does not. If the file names are ok and if dMC works you might try the Tag from filenames accessory. If you don't have this option already you can download it at Codec Central (if you have the Power Pack).

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

bbooska
07-04-2004, 06:43 AM
Thanx..
everything seems to work fine,am listening to now,burned a cd and converted a tape thru aux input yesterday,checking individual files all the tag info is still there and the files are in the right places.

just the display in mmc is fried

if i need to reinstall then just uninstall an an reinstall the player itself and i wont need to reinstall the other programs?

thanx again

Razgo
07-04-2004, 06:52 AM
try out the beta player here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2045

it will ask you to uninstall through the install process. see if that fixrs it. can you supply a screen shot before you fix it? also i have had over 8000 files in MMC and worked fine. but my collection is small compared to others around here.

bbooska
07-04-2004, 07:12 AM
I'll try that out an see....

I only have 1000 songs so far so i guess I'm ok then.

I have a screenshot but not a clue how to post it here...does it have to be hosted somewhere,if so i have no webspace anywhere,i have sbc dsl with some storage but have never been able to make any files available publicly.

Razgo
07-04-2004, 07:54 AM
no worries, just email it to me: music @ optusnet.com.au
thanks.

bbooska
07-04-2004, 08:02 AM
In the wire man..hope you got broadband :)

Razgo
07-04-2004, 08:20 AM
i do :)

i had to shrink the size a little though for here. that is a weird problem :(

bbooska
07-04-2004, 10:14 AM
well i tried the new beta,uninstalling as prompted,first time froze my machine and had to do a hard shutdown,second time gave me the blue screen of death stop error,third try was successfull but i still have the same problem altho mmc looks slightly different

Razgo
07-04-2004, 11:08 AM
yes there is something wrong with the color.txt file. thats something spoon needs to know. unless the white screen was on purpose?

anyhow grab a color.txt file from here and see if it clears up.
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=170

copy it too C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Skins\Default\Editor

bbooska
07-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Well that fixed the color problem,altho i prefer the original color scheme ;)

But i still have the original problem..since i have completly uninstalled an reinstalled what could be the cause?

Razgo
07-04-2004, 02:36 PM
ok only delete the registry file left to do now. but that means re installing all the dbpoweramp suite again.

start-->run-->regedit-->HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate
delete the illustrate folder. remember to back up any music collection.

Razgo
07-04-2004, 02:41 PM
and here is the default color http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showpost.php?p=21134&postcount=3
just make a new text file and copy / paste .

bbooska
07-04-2004, 03:03 PM
i just uninstalled again(amp) but have not reinstalled anything...do i still need to edit registry?
you talking about removing the whole dbpoweramp suite and starting over?
I have all my music on a external usb drive,should be safe shouldnt it? ;)

Razgo
07-04-2004, 03:18 PM
yes i would still delete the dbpoweramp registry so you know you have a total clean start. i meant the MMC music collections to like when you save a collection in MMC it save 2 files filename.mcg and filename.mcc per collection name.

bbooska
07-04-2004, 03:26 PM
ok i can live with a clean install but i think i am being dense on the baking up mmc as i have never saved any mmc collections as i only have the one and its all in one folder on my usb drive

Razgo
07-04-2004, 03:36 PM
yep thats ok, its just a time saver not to have to re scan music folders again. a lot of people have some complex music collection setups and get upset when thens go hay wire. so it was just a precaution as i don;t want to assume you dont have a 20,000 strong collection going :).

basically if you have created a music collection in MMC then it is saved. the file name of your MMC music collection will have created those two files somewhere. mine are all over the place :teufel8:

someone had a problem in another thread that they lost some of the music id tags after re loading the saved MMC collection files. so would be interesting to know if this happens to you.

bbooska
07-04-2004, 03:43 PM
well now you got me worried so i'm in process of backin up,better safe than sorry ;)
should be done in about an hour,then i guess i will scrub for surgery:)

Razgo
07-04-2004, 04:12 PM
BTW when you say USB drive you mean an external hdd? i am thinking of getting an external USB hdd myself so i can back up all my system and re install a new system without worrying about loosing any info i wanted to keep.

bbooska
07-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Yes its a 80gb external...and i have a 60gb system drive with a 30gig partition strictly for data ,and i have barley scratched the surface of either ,disk space is cheap as dirt nowadays :)

Learned the hard way ,i keep my data and specially music as far away from Windows as possible ;)

bbooska
07-04-2004, 05:12 PM
ok i deleted registry key(illustrate folder) but i still have dbpoweramp music converter listed in the programs menu.

Razgo
07-04-2004, 05:49 PM
that might require a re boot.

bbooska
07-04-2004, 06:19 PM
either there were two entries or i am gettin tired as i went back an found another,or possibly i wasnt at the top an didnt get it all i dont know but its late and i will finish this surgery tommorow..thanx for all the hand holdin :)

Razgo
07-04-2004, 06:26 PM
ok let us know tommorrow. better to deal with when you have a clear head :)

bbooska
07-05-2004, 02:34 AM
Well this is kinda strange,i have deleted the illustrate folder and rebooted ,verified it is gone(registry key) but there is still a entry in the start menu for dbpoweramp music converter and all the associated apps,and they all open up... some surgeon i am :)

any reason not to try a regular uninstall via add/remove programs?

bbooska
07-05-2004, 02:38 AM
Now this isnt funny...i just checked registry again and the folder is back..WTF ?

btw I am using winxp pro

ChristinaS
07-05-2004, 02:50 AM
Now this isnt funny...i just checked registry again and the folder is back..WTF ?

btw I am using winxp pro
Uninstall through Control Panel, followed by manual deletion of the folders involved including shortcuts in the Start Up program group (all of them as there may be be a few such or similar folders), empty your recycling bin and then go through the registry and delete all references to any of the products. This should get rid of it permanently.

Right now maybe what your registry shows are references to the last program or folder accessed, or to what is in the recycling bin or perhaps the last web page visited. It need not mean it's still installed.

One more thing: make sure you're signing in with the same user id (and it's got admin privileges) as when you installed originally, otherwise things may only get uninstalled from one user's environment but not others.

bbooska
07-05-2004, 02:59 AM
Ok I'll give that a try,and i am logged in as admin automagically at boot.

thanx

bbooska
07-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Well that appears to have done it :)
I guess the white is default for the new beta,dont care for it but i can change later.

Thanx all for the help :)

Razgo
07-05-2004, 07:50 AM
and your MMC collection came back to life safe and sound? good to here it's all working again.

bbooska
07-05-2004, 03:07 PM
havnt done anything but listen to my music but near as i can tell everything is ok.
there were a few tags i had to change,but not to many.

Thanx again for all the help :)