PDA

View Full Version : system crash

ccsgonnab
06-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Every time I try to convert a file it will get half way through the converting process and the system will crash. Any clue? Any help will be appreciated.

CCSgonnab :blush:

xoas
06-22-2004, 10:17 AM
What is your system and your resources? Are you getting any kind of error messages? If so, what are they? Are you encountering a problem with converting a file on your system or are you encountering a problem trying to rip a track from a cd or other source?

If you are running Windows 95 or 98 there are additional files you need to download and install for dMC to work. If your system has limited resources you may need to avoid running other programs in the background or on the desktop at the same time that you are trying to rip. Sometimes a user might attempt to rip to a setting that the program cannot handle (in which case you may want to try ripping to a different setting or even a different format).

These are a few basic ideas but if you can fill in some of the details, it will be easier to try to find an answer to your problem.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

ccsgonnab
06-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks Bill for the help.

Yes, I guess I should have gave more info. Was just freaking out. I have a amd athlon xp1600 140ghs with 224mg of ram. I am using windows Xp home ed. as my op software. I have a 60 gig hard drive and a 20 gig hard drive and I have a Asus motherbord. Is this helpful.

Thanks ccsgonnab

xoas
06-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Well 224 mg of RAM sounds like it might be a bit limited for XP. (Are you sure its 224, 256 is the more general configuration). If this is the problem, then I suggest you look and see if you have other programs running at the same time you are running dMC. If you are listening to music, playing games, or writing documents on the computer, then you would know that. But you may have other programs running in the background (such as anti-virus software) that are competing for resources. One way to check this is to press control+alt+delete and then select Windows Task Manager and look at the applications folder. If you have other applications running the competition for memory may be causing you crash. Sometimes you can free up resources by shutting down unnecessary programs. Two other system-related issues that might come to play are the size of your system's cache and whether dMC is on the same hard drive as your system and your Music Collection.

But how about your crash itself. Is the system freezing up on you, are you getting error messages from dMC, are you getting error messages from your System? When you reboot (if you have a freeze) do you get the "Your system has recovered from a serious error" message? I wouldn't be able to process the technical details from the last message but sometimes other error messages might convey some useful information.

Finally, what kind of conversion are you trying to do? It sounds like you are converting files already on your computer from one format and/or bitrate to another. What format and bitrate are you trying to convert to? Is this true of any file you try to convert? Have you tried converting to different formates and/or bitrates? Or is this true of all conversions?

Anyway, consider these factors if you have not already and stay in touch.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen