PDA

View Full Version : Mixing mp3s

djgecko
06-16-2004, 02:31 PM
I recorded a mixtape onto mp3s; unfortunately, each side had its own mp3! Can I mix these 2 files together with dbPowerAMP?

Spoon
06-17-2004, 07:31 AM
Sorry no.

ChristinaS
06-17-2004, 11:23 AM
I recorded a mixtape onto mp3s; unfortunately, each side had its own mp3! Can I mix these 2 files together with dbPowerAMP?

Well, one product I know of can be bought from www.voyetra.com. I am referring to AudioSurgeon at http://www.voyetra.com/site/products/audiosurgeon/producthome.asp which sells for $29.95 or others from the Voyetra series, like Record Producer Deluxe which is quite a complete home recording studio package and sells for $69.95. I know you can edit a wav file with the latter and join 2 wav's together because I've done it, although not for anything as long as 2 cassette sides. At 10MB/minute of recording this can be a lot of HD space and memory as well.

The easiest way to "fake" a continuous audio file (if you're not overly concerned with the little gap that may still be between your 2 files), is to set up an .asx meta-file to stream both in sequence.

Using Notepad create a file which you will save under the name somename.asx.

This file should contain at the very least the following lines:

<ASX VERSION="3.0">

<ENTRY>
<REF HREF="cassette-side-1.mp3" />
<STARTTIME VALUE="hh:mm:ss.fract" />
<DURATION VALUE="hh:mm:ss.fract" />
<Title>side 1</Title>
<Abstract>blah, blah</Abstract>
<Author>blah, blah</Author>
<Copyright>blah, blah</Copyright>
</ENTRY>

<ENTRY>
<REF HREF="cassette-side-2.mp3" />
<STARTTIME VALUE="hh:mm:ss.fract" />
<DURATION VALUE="hh:mm:ss.fract" />
<Title>side 2</Title>
<Abstract>blah, blah</Abstract>
<Author>blah, blah</Author>
<Copyright>blah, blah</Copyright>
</ENTRY>
</ASX>

Note the use of <starttime.... > and <duration....> where you can attempt to remove the silence at the end or at the beginning of an audio file in the stream by specifying precise spots for starting and ending.

Then the file you will playe is your somename.asx file, rather than the individual mp3 files.

djgecko
06-17-2004, 02:34 PM
2 questions:
Do I need all those gaps in the file? Can I put in more than 2 mp3s?

ChristinaS
06-17-2004, 03:04 PM
2 questions:
Do I need all those gaps in the file? Can I put in more than 2 mp3s?
Which file are you talking about? The .asx file?

The blank lines are for better readability. The dottes liens are not part of it.

Every audio file you want to have in there must be in its own segment between a <entry> and a </entry> tag. Lowercase or upper case are not important except in the audio file name itself (in the <ref href .. tag) where you must have it exactly as it is on your computer and in between double quotes. The other tags like <author> ... </author>, etc, are just for text that wil be shown in Windows Media Player.

Pay attention to the paired and non paired tags. Basically they are all paired except for the <ref href > tag which is stand alone as well as the <starttime> and <duration> tags which are optional anyway.

If you're not concerned with the little time gap between the files, then you don't need to use the <starttime..> and <duration > tags.

djgecko
06-21-2004, 02:30 PM
^Thanks. Since it's an ASX file, how can I stream-cast it on the Web for free?

ChristinaS
06-21-2004, 03:57 PM
^Thanks. Since it's an ASX file, how can I stream-cast it on the Web for free?
You can post or stream any audio file on the web as long as it's your own creation. You may not use any audio file reprsenting somebody else's composition and/or performance unless you have the artists' approval.

Of course, your own web hosting company must support media files in the first place. Generally paid hosting does, while free hosting such as www.netfirms.com or maybe geocities do not or only allow very small files (under 250k).

VNG
07-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Another good audio toolbox program is Audacity.. and its (with an exaggerated high pitched voice) free. Pre-dbAuxInput I used this to siphon off audio that I had problems ripping.