PDA

View Full Version : higher rate conversion

doced60
06-07-2004, 11:24 AM
You will quickly tell my lack of proficiency with this tool, but I'm betting some of you have the expertise to get me properly acclimated. I want to convert my collection of old-time radio programs, on CD-R and recorded in a low bit-rate MP3 format, to a higher bit-rate form of MP3 (variable would be good, too) that my DVD/CD/MP3 player can recognize and play. Currently, I can play none of them except on my computer or an older portable cd/MP3 player. Also, when I tried a conversion, I failed to figure out how to get the program to continue converting track after track without having me enter the next track (file) manually.

Thank you for attention and help.

doced60

ChristinaS
06-07-2004, 12:40 PM
You will quickly tell my lack of proficiency with this tool, but I'm betting some of you have the expertise to get me properly acclimated. I want to convert my collection of old-time radio programs, on CD-R and recorded in a low bit-rate MP3 format, to a higher bit-rate form of MP3 (variable would be good, too) that my DVD/CD/MP3 player can recognize and play. Currently, I can play none of them except on my computer or an older portable cd/MP3 player. Also, when I tried a conversion, I failed to figure out how to get the program to continue converting track after track without having me enter the next track (file) manually.

Thank you for attention and help.

doced60
First off a cd of mp3's is a data cd, not an audio cd, just to clarify things in case of misunderstanding.

Question: Is your cd-r of old mp3's a data cd or an audio cd?

If it's an audio cd (thus not a data cd), you treat it like any old store-bought audio cd, since the tracks are regular cda tracks - thus you rip them to wav or whatever you want, with whatever bit rates you want.

If it's a data cd, then the "tracks" are really the individual mp3 files that are stored on it.

You put the disk in its drive and you highlight the files you want to convert. You right click on this selection and you select dMC's Convert to option.

Once dMC starts you just pick what you want to convert to, with whatever parameters you want to use for quality, bit rate, etc. It shouldn't be any different from converting a selection of audio files form a folder on your hard disk.

Now just realize that you won't really improve the quality of the resulting mp3 files by using higher settings of bit rate, etc.