PDA

View Full Version : How do I rip selected multiple tracks as one MP3?

JRSellers
06-05-2004, 05:45 AM
I'm using dMC Audio CD Input with dMC Power Pack, and to rip 4 tracks from a 10 track CD as one MP3, but when I select the 4 tracks to rip, and press the "Rip As One" button, dMC assumes I want to rip the entire CD as one MP3.

xoas
06-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Here is one way to achieve what you are trying to do:
Load the cd you are ripping from in your drive, open dMC and get your Freedb track info. Then Click on the Options menu arrow and select Standard CD Player Emulation, and click on Audio CD Parameters. Here you will see a listing of each track on the cd in order. Find the last track for the piece you are ripping and delete every file after that on the cd. Click on OK (the deleted tracks will disappear from the dMC screen. Then click on Rip As One. If the piece you are ripping is the only piece on this part of the cd you can go ahead and rip to mp3 and your piece will come out as a single file. If there are one or more pieces before the piece you want to rip then make a note on your new screen as to the starting point on the cd (in minutes and seconds) of the piece you are ripping. Then navigate to the Rip With Options menu, click on the DSP effects button and select Trim. Use Trim to prevent pieces earlier on the cd from ripping. Then rip your piece as a single track. (As an alternative, you could use Trim to cut off both everything before and after your piece, this would avoid the steps involving deleting later tracks but you would have to do the math involved in figuring how much to cut off at the end).

You could also rip the tracks separately and use an audio editing program to "glue" the tracks together into a single track.

In theory, you could maybe rip the tracks separately combine them into a single playlist and load only the playlist into your player's library. The one time I tried this however I don't believe that the playlist would ever play unless I asked for it manually but this might depend on your player (I was using dAP, still do).

Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

JRSellers
06-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Use Trim to prevent pieces earlier on the cd from ripping. Then rip your piece as a single track.

It worked.

You could also rip the tracks separately and use an audio editing program to "glue" the tracks together into a single track.

I've done that several times B4. I wanted to figure out how to do this in dMC, so it would be easier. :smile2:

John

Razgo
06-05-2004, 06:29 PM
that was a good tip xaos! i never knew that was there! so that means you can rip the first and last track only "as one" track. that is cool! :thumbup:

Spoon
06-05-2004, 07:54 PM
I'm using dMC Audio CD Input with dMC Power Pack, and to rip 4 tracks from a 10 track CD as one MP3, but when I select the 4 tracks to rip, and press the "Rip As One" button, dMC assumes I want to rip the entire CD as one MP3.

You should be able to click the mouse on the Rip as one screen to set the start and end ripping times.

xoas
06-06-2004, 12:51 AM
D'oh!
Spoon is, of course, right. From the Rip as One screen you can set the start time by clicking on your starting point (which will be the top of the red bar) and by right clicking on your ending point (which will be the bottom of the red bar). Make sure that the box Snap to Track is checked unless you don't want your ripped tracks to coincide with tracks on the cd (say you want to record only the middle portion of a cd track or a lead-in from a previous track or there is an annoying amount of dead air or crowd noise at the beginning or end of a track).
I had tried to use Rip as One for this purpose earlier but had not found the right click to set the end of the track. That was how I came across my work-around. But the Rip as One method is much simpler.
Hats off (once again) to Spoon!
Bill Mikkelsen

xoas
06-06-2004, 01:15 AM
"...so that means you can rip the first and last track only "as one" track." (Razgo)

I am afraid not. My "work-around" only works on contiguous tracks. If you click on Standard CD Emulation, delete the tracks you don't want and click on Rip as One, what dMC will actually do is figure out the total amount of time your selected tracks amount to and rip for that amount of time. Better that you know now than find out the hard way.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Razgo
06-06-2004, 07:07 AM
well i just proved you right Xaos because i just converted the first and last track using your directions and rip as one. no problems at all. works like a charm. you can't do this using ony the mouse and move on the rip as one.

here is the steps i took.

1. drop down options-->standard cd player emulation-->
2. audio cd paremeters-->
3. deselect all the tracks you don't want
4. now click rip as one to check you only have the tracks you wanted
5. rip it

thats it.

xoas
06-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Razgo-
You may be right, but that is not how it is turning out for me using the steps you describe. If you go by the Rip as One screen it does indeed look like you have ripped the first and last tracks as one (in this example).
But have you listened to the ripped track itself?
In every one of several trials I find that dMC is ripping the first track and as much time in the second and following tracks as covers the time for the last track.
Could you please make sure (by listening to your track if you haven't already done so) that this procedure (which you outlined in your last post) works for you and let me know what you find?
Thanks for all your help.
Bill Mikkelsen

Razgo
06-06-2004, 10:39 AM
my track/s played fine. i ripped first and last and yes it recorded first and last. but i will double check

Razgo
06-06-2004, 10:42 AM
doh! yeh it got some of the second and third track. double doh! i was so excited too :) oh well.