PDA

View Full Version : Controllable Normalization

Barak
06-27-2002, 05:36 PM
I use this App to convert lectures I record. Since the beginning and end are loudest (since I'm handling the tape recorder and putting down on the desk), It would be cool to be able to specify to what level the user wishes to normalize (even to be able to specify a positive, "clipped" normalization, so that my audio would be properly loud.

The audio application "audacity" impliments this nicely, and its free. Check it out at:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

-Barak

Razgo
06-27-2002, 07:21 PM
I'm not 100% sure what your saying.

you have tried DMC-"auxiliary input" ?

as you can set the "volume normilize" as you are recording.

but it sounds like you are recording to tape first, then to your PC.

either way "auxiliary input" should do the job.

Barak
06-27-2002, 07:56 PM
Ragzo,

No, I have hundreds of .wav files already on my machine that I transfered in from cassette some time ago. I want to convert to .mp3 these already existing files. Rather than just a checkbox, I'd like to be able to specify normalization, either by decible (like Audacity), or by precentage (like EasyMP3 (by Proteron)). Percentage would be better, I think. Right now, for example, I normalize to 120% - the turning on and off the tape sounds that are at the beginning and end of the .wav file get clipped, and the audio effectively gets to near 100% normalization.

Using dBPowerAmp, it normalizes by finding the loudest sound in the file and making it -.7db (about 90% of maximum), so the audio I actually want to listen to (as opposed to the tape player sounds which are now at 90%) are way down at 60% or so.

-Ben

Razgo
06-27-2002, 08:15 PM
here is a pic of the powerpack options for normalize.

not sure if you have downloaded the 30 day trial "powerpack" to try it out? as the extra options are only availible for the powerpack DSP effects. and as you will see the % can be put in manually.

do you think this would be of benifit for what you are doing?

http://razgo.com/pics/normal.png