PDA

View Full Version : convert wma to MP3 ????

flipfrog
05-20-2004, 09:17 AM
how does one do so???

thanks in advance,
Dee

ChristinaS
05-20-2004, 01:46 PM
how does one do so???

thanks in advance,
Dee

I assume you have installed dMC and the Windows Media Audio codec (from the Popular codecs section). I also assume that you at least know in general how to run dMC. Otherwise you'll just have to experiment. Well, there's always a first time for everything.

Use dMC, select your particular wma file and then instruct dMC to convert it to mp3 (Lame). Use "16 bit" , "44100Hz" and "Stereo". You can choose the bit rate by the green slider. 128kbps is the bit rate of choice for mp3 files. You can also select where you want to save the resulting mp3 file. Do not opt to delete the original file after conversion as you may need it again. Other parameters are optional (volume normalize, ID Tags, etc).

Wayne
05-20-2004, 09:00 PM
You should be aware that dMC is unable to convert 'protected' wma files.

Wayne

ChristinaS
05-20-2004, 11:40 PM
You should be aware that dMC is unable to convert 'protected' wma files.

Wayne

Oh, I've never run into one of those. But then you can just use dMC Auxiliary Input while playing it and be done.

Unregistered
07-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Use dMC, select your particular wma file and then instruct dMC to convert it to mp3 (Lame). Use "16 bit" , "44100Hz" and "Stereo".

Don't forget that Joint Stereo is mathmatically the same as Stereo, meaning you will hear the same sound if you had one file encoded using the two different Channel configurations. A JS file is just a little smaller, that's all.

ChristinaS
07-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Don't forget that Joint Stereo is mathmatically the same as Stereo, meaning you will hear the same sound if you had one file encoded using the two different Channel configurations. A JS file is just a little smaller, that's all.
I didn't know that about Joint Stereo and Stereo. Thanks for the info.

Unregistered
07-20-2004, 11:03 PM
What if you do all of the above and still get the message:

"the song is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode."

I did not encrypt during the ripping process (which made the WMA file). I changed to V7 codec but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions? Is the encrypting code written into the Windows Media Player somewhere?

Thanks,
Will

ChristinaS
07-20-2004, 11:16 PM
What if you do all of the above and still get the message:

"the song is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode."

I did not encrypt during the ripping process (which made the WMA file). I changed to V7 codec but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions? Is the encrypting code written into the Windows Media Player somewhere?

Thanks,
Will
If you can play the song at all, then you can capture it as wav (or mp3 or wma or whatever) through Auxiliary Input and that will not be encrypted.

Wayne
07-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Windows Media Player has an option which will tell it to create a licence, and hence a protected audio file, whenever you rip a CD to create wma files. So you can see the creating of encrypted wma files is built into WMP (and the WMP codecs).

This option is turned on by default and so you will need to enter the WMP settings to turn it off. Turning it off will ensure that new wma files will not be protected but any files created before the change will still be protected. If you ever lose the licence files created by WMP you will be unable to play the files so you might like to ensure you keep backups.

Wayne

Unregistered
09-13-2004, 05:00 PM
I just use musicmatch to burn the protected wma to a cd-rw in audio format, then rip it back off in .mp3. It's a hassle but it works.

Unregistered
09-18-2004, 08:34 AM
HELP ME SOMEONE! I have a WMA file that is 4 channels and I need all 4 channels to work. How can I convert this WMA 4 channel to a 4 channel MP3 retaining all 4 channels in the exact same order and sync?

THanks for any help.