PDA

View Full Version : speed up when converting from WAV to MP3

Unregistered
06-18-2002, 06:47 PM
Hi,

sorry if this is a stupid question. I have used this program to convert wav files i recorded via mic directly into my computer to mp3 format. It all used to work fine. I am not sure what I changed, if any but now any wave file converted sounds speeded up, and sounds sort of like mickey mouse :) I have tried changing all the variables I have during conversion (ie, bit rate, frequency, etc.) but no luck.

I am running win2k and I use a program called Clean to record the wav files. when I listen to wave files prior to conversion, they sound fine. The MP3 conversion is speeded up.

Thanks for your help.

And again sorry if this is an obvious question.

Spoon
06-19-2002, 02:33 AM
Try converting Wave to Wave, it sounds silly but will tell me if it is the mp3 or wave part.

Unregistered
06-19-2002, 11:32 AM
Hi Spoon,

so after converting from wav to wav, no change, the converted wav file sounded fine with normal speed.

I did find however a strange thing. I was converting from wav to mp3 using the MONO option to save space, since these files are lectures and I don't care for them to be stereo. I changed it to Stereo just for kicks, and the MP3 sounds fine on my computer!!

However, when I play the now ok files in my portable MP3 player (RCA model) it sounds speeded up!!! A friend of mine converted the same lectures using a different converter, and it sounds fine both in my computer and portable MP3 player!!

I use winamp to listen to them in my computer and have an RCA portable Mp3 player.

I am really lost! any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unregistered
06-20-2002, 10:46 AM
Spoon,

Do you think that the MONO conversion is a bug? Do you have any idea how I can fix the problem with pitch of the converted MP3 being played in my MP3 player?

Thanks.

Spoon
06-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Did the mono files sound speeded up in Winamp.

For your RCA player, you are best trying WMA, dBpowerAMP can do WMA files just nicely.

Unregistered
06-20-2002, 11:49 AM
yes. The mono conversion sounds speeded up in winamp as well.

I'll try the WMA files and let you know.

Unregistered
06-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Ok,

I think I have a solution. The WMA did not play on my MP3 Player. As you say in your notes for WMA, it is only played on computers.

So I downloaded new codecs Blad and the 2000 CLI. using blad and at the rate of 196kbps in Stereo mode. I have a good conversion from WAV to MP3.

the CLI 2000, worked fast, but the resulting MP3 sounded very digital and muffled at times!

WOW, I think we have along way to go to make digital recroding as reliable as analog. I can't wait to go home and play one of my LPs.

Thanks for all your help.

:)