PDA

View Full Version : Cddb

Unregistered
06-17-2002, 06:28 PM
I used to be able to connect to the cddb database with the older version, but now I get an error message telling me "Could not connect to freedb database, Please check you internet connection." I have DSL always on connection and I am able to load websites with no problems. Any suggestions?

totalXSive
06-18-2002, 02:08 AM
Which dMC are you using? A while ago, Spoon switched from CDDB to FreeDB, so if you still use a CDDB version, it may not work for that reason. Get the latest version if you haven't done so already.

Next thing to check is your proxy server. Fire up the Internet Options in Control Panel, switch to the Connections tab and note down if you have a proxy server (you may not). If you do, note down the details, and then update these in the Options dialog of dMC Audio CD Input.

Note that if your proxy server requires you to log on, you will need to download the latest beta of dMC (from the Beta forum).

Unregistered
06-19-2002, 06:53 AM
Thanks Neil, when I could access the database I was using the older version, not quite sure which one it was though. I downloaded the latest version 5.0 I think, and that is when I started having the problems. I will check the proxy settings, but I shouldn't have any, this is my home network that I am trying to access from. Hopefully I haven't set something screwy. I forgot to mention that I am now running XP also. I don't remember if I used the old version on XP or not. Anyway, thanks again for the assist.

totalXSive
06-20-2002, 06:16 AM
The latest version is Release 8, which is the only truly-XP compatible version AFAIK. Release 9 is the Beta version.

Unregistered
07-12-2002, 06:43 PM
I think I figured out why I couild not connect to the database. I am using Zone Alarm for firewall protection and for some reason it never saw the request going out to the net and so did not ask for permission but just blocked it. I downloaded version 9a of dmc and while reading some of the help files about offline use of the database I found out I had to select it in the options menu. When I clicked OK after selecting offline, Zone Alarm asked for permission to allow dmc to acces the internet. The database has been working ever since. Thanks for trying to help and keep this in mind if anyone else ever has a problem of a similar nature. Check to see if they are using Zone Alarm.

totalXSive
07-13-2002, 10:46 AM
That's strange - I've never had problems between dMC and ZoneAlarm, though I have had a very similar problem with Tiny Personal Firewall. It wasn't just dMC - a number of programs were totally blocked (no confirmation) the first time I ran them, which is why I went back to ZoneAlarm on my new machine.