PDA

View Full Version : access denied?

Unregistered
06-15-2002, 06:52 PM
My operating system is Windows 2000. Since installing dmc-r8, music cd's placed in my cd (dvd) player no longer auto-load and play. Instead I get a pop-up window with the following message: "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied" which must be dismissed before I can do anytning else on my machine. Although I can still play the cd by manually executing the CDPlayer (at which point the app pops up playing what is on the cd), this used to be automatic, and I would prefer not to have to do the manual thing. Any suggestions?

Spoon
06-16-2002, 05:19 AM
Install the Power Toys from Microsoft, they make it easy to set up which program is autorun.

Unregistered
06-16-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Spoon
Install the Power Toys from Microsoft, they make it easy to set up which program is autorun.

I did so(downloaded and installled tweakui v1.33). With regard to autorun, this app simply provides instructions as to "how to". In this case, all my settings are as indicated and the problem remains.

Further notes:
* If I start my CDPlayer prior to loading a music cd, the music *will* play automatically - but the "error" window still appears and must be dealt with in order to free up my machine.
* Non-music cd apps autostart fine without the "error" window appearing
* Data cd's (such as burned backups) also cause no problems

Spoon
06-17-2002, 02:47 AM
Start >> Run

regedit.exe

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioCD\Shell\play\command

Set the default "" to your CD player.

Unregistered
06-17-2002, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Spoon
Start >> Run

regedit.exe

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioCD\Shell\play\command

Set the default "" to your CD player.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioCD\Shell\play\command has 2 entries:
(Default) and dMC. The Data Value for Default is already my cd player. So I tried setting the Data Value for dMC (which was blank) to be my cd player as well. I exited regedit and inserted a music cd. The result was the same - a popup window with the "Access ... denied ... " message. Is it necessary to reboot in order to get a regedit mod to take effect? Or is what I tried not something that should have worked anyway? (I have set the dMC Data Value back the way it was - blank - for now).

By the way, thanks for the responses and ideas. I will continue to try any other suggestions you might have.

Spoon
06-17-2002, 01:39 PM
That is the only value in the registry that dMC touches to do with Audio CDs, I am out of ideas.

Unregistered
11-17-2003, 07:54 PM
That is the only value in the registry that dMC touches to do with Audio CDs, I am out of ideas.

I have exact same problem under w2k sp4. dMC used to work fine until I switched to NTFS. Uninstalling does not correct the error. Mark S.