PDA

View Full Version : Closing programs while ripping/converting

Unregistered
06-15-2002, 07:14 AM
hey ppl out there!!!

ive been using dMC and dAP for about three months and they're AWESOME.

however, let me get back to my question

whenever i rip music from a cd or convert sound files, i always close all of my open programs except for dMC. ive heard that while ripping/converting with a lot of programs open can cause skips in the resulting sound files. has this ever been true for dMC? :confused:

jason

MODatic
06-15-2002, 07:54 AM
Well for me, it's not true unless you're using the Aux. Input add-on. :D Having extra progs open will just slow down your encoding speeds with the other dBpowerAMP progs and more importantly, slow down what you're doing. I usually try to keep the system overhead to a minimum. Though, If possible, keep as little as possible running when you're recording with Aux. Input since by the nature of its task, it needs a reasonably constant level of power.

Unregistered
06-15-2002, 08:09 AM
what about when burning a cd?

MODatic
06-15-2002, 08:47 AM
If you have a newer CD burner that supports buffer underrun protection, (JustLink, Burn Proof etc.) no amount of system stress will damage your CD/s, at most, the drive will slow down the burning speed and if needed, completely stop and then resume once sufficient CPU and HDD power is available.

However, if you don't have a drive that supports some form of buffer underrun protection, the drive will stop and since it is not smart enough to know how to resume where it left off, it'll leave a half-written CD that's useless since the TOC (table of contents) of the CD which tells the reading drive the locations of the files on the disc, has not been written since that's usually the last step of a CD burn. With system stress on a non-buffer underrun protection compatible drive, you either get a working CD or a totally screwed CD, believe me, you'll notice the the difference :happy:

Also, if you have a SCSI based CD burner, buffer underruns aren't a problem since the actual SCSI controller which the drive is hooked up to manages the drive instead of the CPU.