PDA

View Full Version : First steps

Fleuch
10-24-2018, 09:21 AM
At the moment the hardware / software is :-

Media Player : Media Monkey

Windows Vista (agreed, time for a change)

Network experience : absolute zero towards negative

Network Adapter : Marantz NA 8005

Currently the PC streams to the media player using the USB-DAC input, from music files held on the internal HDD, or through the PC speakers. Media Monkey has no problem with either.

The time has come to try to introduce the media player to the home network.

Downloaded and installed Asset, all seemed good.

Media Monkey identifies Asset as a Media Server; Asset has been pointed to the music files (FLAC) folder on the internal HDD.

Two issues (1) Should music files be listed by Asset under its own interface? - all folders currently shown as empty; (2) What additional settings (Windows / Asset / Media Monkey) are required to allow the music files to be streamed over the network?

One thought was to download a copy of Windows Home Server but this complicated the problem, WHS was released post-Vista and quickly deprecated.

Searching the Forum has not revealed the Windows / Asset solution - so please help me find what needs to be done to stream the music files.

Yes, I really need some help taking those first steps.

Many thanks

Fleuch

vilsen
10-24-2018, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure I understand all your intentions so let me put it this way:

If you have the Marantz NA 8005 (which is a network player) and want to use Asset, then you don't need Media Monkey. Your lineage would be:

PC/Asset > Network > Marantz NA 8005 > Amplifier

Note that the PC and the Marantz communicates via the network, so you don't need USB. You select your music from a control point also connected to the network, i.e. an iphone or Android app. The app could be from e.g. Marantz, Bubble or even a Media Monkey app. Or you could just use the Marantz' remote.

On the other hand, if you do want to use Media Monkey, then you don't need Asset. I'm not sure, but I think that Media Monkey is an organizer, player and UPnP server (check this). So you could hook up the Marantz as a DAC only via USB, or you could probably connect it like a network player as described above.

Personally, I would hook up the Marantz via network and I think that Asset is hard to beat as a UPnP server. But Media Monkey might be your cup of tea of course.

Spoon
10-25-2018, 05:51 AM
The browse tree as shown in Assets configuration would not show files, it is there to customize the tree only.