PDA

View Full Version : Amplitude

asmith
08-30-2018, 10:00 PM
Help, I've read Spoon's guide but screwed something up. I have ripped my collection 2x already and need to do it right. I want to rip to FLAC and have maximum amplitude, but it is nice to have all Cd's match. Last rip I used a filter that seemed to lower the output amplitude. I need to KISS, to keep my sanity. Thanks for any input. Also i'm in SLC, anyone in the area?

Spoon
08-31-2018, 05:30 AM
You are best ripping and not changing the audio, this is your master collection, then you can create a sub collection off that, where the volume is changed if required.

asmith
09-01-2018, 07:00 AM
Sorry it took a minute to get back to you. Thanks for the info, I may have a handle on it now. One more question, you mention in your guide about cd's being volume compressed. Is this done in the studio, and does it effect how vinyl is produced?

mville
09-01-2018, 07:31 AM
One more question, you mention in your guide about cd's being volume compressed. Is this done in the studio, and does it effect how vinyl is produced?

If audio compression is applied, it is applied in the recording studio or post production/mastering studio.

It may or may not affect vinyl, which will depend on whether the source has had audio compression applied.