PDA

View Full Version : Forced Reboot after Install

Michael Sargent
06-15-2018, 07:49 AM
After installing the 21-day version of Video Converter, upgrading the Beta, the installer forced a reboot of my system. There was no apparent way to tell it to stop (to let me reboot after cleanly stopping other things). It just proceeded to reboot right in the middle of me working on other things. :eek:

This is VERY bad. You should, of course, inform the user that a reboot is required, but ALWAYS allow them to control when that reboot occurs.

Mike

Spoon
06-15-2018, 08:54 AM
The final page of the installer details the options to process, one of those (which is default checked) would be to [x] Restart System.

Michael Sargent
06-16-2018, 09:32 AM
But it is definitely not clear that it will reboot your system in 40 seconds without any chance to abort it. This really, really needs to be much clearer and perhaps even make not-rebooting automatically the default.

Spoon
06-16-2018, 02:23 PM
If non-reboot was the default option, then potentially dBpoweramp would not work after install.

Michael Sargent
06-17-2018, 09:58 AM
That's better than rebooting someone's machine when they don't want it rebooted.

Jailhouse
06-17-2018, 10:43 PM
Perhaps a dialog could be displayed stating that dBpoweramp should not be used until after a reboot, if the Restart System box is unticked.

It might also be possible to not allow dBpa to open if a restart hasn't occurred since installation. Displaying a dialog with the choices to restart immediately or not could be displayed then.