PDA

View Full Version : Replaygain not updating values ?

eggerty
01-30-2018, 03:51 PM
I fully admit this might be me but.....

I have a folder with subfolders containing music files from one CD set. I initially had this split as three separate albums in itunes and I used replaygain to calculate album & track info on each album.
I have now decided to combine two of the albums into one in itunes so have amended the album name accordingly, but have left the files in the subfolders they were originally in.

In windows explorer I went to the top folder, searched for all m4a files and applied replaygain on all files in each Folder. I am using the Albums Identified by Album ID Tag.
However, after running replaygain, for some reason I decided to check the files.

Folder 1 is showing an album_gain value of +1.37, but folder 3 which now has the same Album name as the files in Folder 1 has an album_gain of +1.67.
I had thought that all files in the same "album" would have had the same album_gain values. It looks like replaygain is either recalculating based on folders or that it isn't overwriting the existing values ?

As I said it might be me misunderstanding what replaygain should do, but I'm sure I've done this in previous versions of dbpoweramp and it's worked as I expected.
I am using version 16.4 and replaygain Release 5

EDIT
Just had another strange occurance. I had files in a folder relating to one album. I added a couple of extra files in to the folder and renamed them so they all had the same album name. I ran replaygain on them and the two new files had a different album_gain to the original files. I deleted the replaygain tags from all files and reran and the same thing happened. Now.... these 2 new files I had as DISC 2 of the album, and the original files were DISC 1. I changed the new files to DISC 1 and ran replaygain again.... and it worked - giving the same album_gain value for all tags.

Now, in the first example, the extra tracks in the second folder which I combined I have tagged as Disc 2.

So would I be right in thinking that replaygain is seeing different discs as different albums?

eggerty
01-30-2018, 05:25 PM
One further update. Instead of just updating the disc number on the files in the second folder, I updated the disc number on every file in both folders to 1. Ran replaygain and I now have the same album_gain value across all files, so it does appear to be DISC * related.

mville
01-31-2018, 03:10 AM
I did notice a change in the ReplayGain 5 utility codec also. I used to use Albums Identified By = Album ID Tag, but now I have to use Albums Identified By = All Files in Same Folder.

... i.e. Albums Identified By = Album ID Tag does not work correctly anymore and it should state Albums Identified By = Album ID and Disc (and possibly Album Artist) Tag.

It's probably related to the bug mentioned here: [Codec Update] ReplayGain Utility R5 for Windows (https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?38757-Codec-Update-ReplayGain-Utility-R5-for-Windows)

eggerty
01-31-2018, 03:33 AM
Yes, I looked at that and I am running the latest version of ReplayGain.
It does look like when you have the identifier set to Album name, it treats each disc as a separate album within that. Not sure if that's an intended feature or not - I'm sure it never used to be.

Think that like you, I'll have to change it to All Files In Same Folder.