PDA

View Full Version : dBpoweramp WAVE encoding + iTunes WAVE decoding...

axbyfz
12-31-2017, 05:28 PM
Fellowes, music lovers, let’s make a great and musical 2018!

Few years ago, I have try to integrate dBpoweramp to my already 3K ripped CDs sound library equation (WAVE encoding + WAVE iTunes playlists and listening through streaming and/or mobiles-headphones) without satisfactorily results (long and tedious hard work).

A month ago, I decided to try again thrusting that both newer versions (dBpoweramp and iTunes) have found an easier and better path in order to achieve my above-mentioned equation. Sadly, after many hours during these four weeks, I still haven’t found a reliable and reasonable fast way to get it; the problem, as you know, is metadata, tagging…
So, I decided to get in touch with this wonderful community with some simple questions:

01. Does anybody here is using WAVE encoding through dBpoweramp?

02. Did someone have found a way to transfer or double encoding to iTunes using WAVE without rewriting everything on iTunes?

Last night, I’ve try a last and desperate process:

a. First, rip from dBpoweramp to an external HDD (I will keep this as my Master save-security version).

b. Second, rip from iTunes to a different HDD and then delete the media files keeping the metadata; copy media files from dBpoweramp version to iTunes music folder and finally consolidate song by song…

Wow, its crazy…

- Did I lose anything here through this way (time of course)?
- Did someone have found an easier and reliable way and share it with me?

I will really appreciate your help. Thank you very much in advance.

Respectfully:

Alejandro

garym
12-31-2017, 06:00 PM
I'm not exactly clear as to what you are trying to accomplish. Are you saying that you have lots of WAV files and they have no metadata? And you're trying to figure out a way to get metadata added to those files? Or is your objective something else. Sorry, your description is unclear to me.

axbyfz
01-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Hello -garym-, thank you for your answer. Sorry, it is a long story that I intended to make it short; let me try again.

Four months ago, a corrupted iTunes itl file, made me lost my 3K CDs metadata music library. On my experience, rebuild the old metadata and rip the whole library again (with new metadata) is almost the same thing.
So, I want to start from scratch with a different approach now: rip every single CD again from dBpoweramp, which is going to be an improvement, and then copy to iTunes for playlists and listening purposes. I want to keep the dBpoweramp rip as a &*8220;security master&*8221; and the iTunes library for daily use. As my personal taste, the whole process is on WAVE, encoding and decoding.

My yesterday&*8217;s approach to the forum, had the intention to know if someone have found a reliable and less time-consuming way to solve the inherent WAVE tagging problem in the dBpoweramp copy to iTunes step, that&*8217;s it&*8230;

Thanks, again.

Alejandro.

garym
01-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Just to be clear, my understanding is that you want to re-rip your CDs with dbpoweramp to WAV format with metadata tags. Correct? If so, why is this not as simple as re-ripping, using dbpa to add tag data when ripping, then importing the resulting rips into your iTunes library. Will iTunes not read the metadata tags that dbpa puts in the Wav files?

axbyfz
01-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Thanks again -garym-. Yes, that&*8217;s what I want to do: re-rip every CD using dBpoweramp and build the metadata (tagging) during the process, but the problem is on iTunes, it cannot read correctly the dBpoweramp tagging. The whole data is appearing at the tittle column as a cluster or chunk of info, no matter the way: dragging a folder or a file; straight import from iTunes command or a double WAVE encoding from dBpoweramp, one to the master dBpoweramp HDD and the other to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder&*8230;
That&*8217;s why I was asking if someone knows a more reliable way in order to avoid the &*8220;re-type&*8221; at iTunes&*8230; I suggested also a fourth way (crazy) but maybe less time consuming:

a. First, rip from dBpoweramp to an external HDD (I will keep this as my Master save-security version).

b. Second, rip from iTunes to a different HDD and then delete the media files keeping the metadata; copy media files from dBpoweramp version to iTunes music folder and finally consolidate song by song&*8230;

Respectfully:

Alejandro

garym
01-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I can't be much help here. I don't use WAV. I'm surprised that itunes doesn't read the wav file tags created by dbpa. But then again, WAV files are notorious for not properly supporting tagging. My only suggestion is to start using a more modern LOSSLESS codec. If you want to use itunes, ALAC would be best. But I understand that you have a personal preference for WAV.

Perhaps a better, more versatile player would be the answer, unless you need itunes to load up iphones/ipods, etc. If you are using windows, I recommend foobar2000.

axbyfz
01-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Thank you -garym- Yes, I prefer WAV (I will not start another format/encoder chat here). I also use iPhones/iPods.
Another option with dBpoweramp double encoding is: WAVE for the master and AIFF for iTunes (Apple&*8217;s uncompressed format); I&*8217;ve try that already and the tagging works. I only have to employ time and attention and compare it sonically with WAVE.

Thank you very much again; I really appreciate your time, knowledge and experience&*8230;

Alejandro