PDA

View Full Version : Issue writing / to tags in .mp3 files ( it is converted to ; in the tag)

StephenT137
12-13-2017, 01:20 PM
I've been ripping my collection, using multi-encode, and ripping to FLAC, WMA lossless (for my Zunes) and mp3 files. I have over 2000 cds done so far. Unfortunately when i was trying to use Mediamonkey to organize it started messing up some files, and in the process I found that the cd ripper (And also audio converter / batch converter) does not just seamlessly copy over the tag information

My Wma and flac files have field information just as i entered it. however the mp3 (and if i convert a flac to mp3) ... then the / in certain fields get changed to ;
For instance i might have a track
I use ; to separate separate values, and / to separate songs when multiple songs in track and record the artists / composers etc. divided by / to line up with each song

Name) Song 1 / Song 2 / Song 3
Artist) Artist 1 / artist 2, piano; artist 3, vocals / artist 4
Composer) Composer 1 / Traditional, lyrics; Composer 2, music / Composer 3

this shows up fine in the WMA files, and FLAC files (thank goodness), but in the MP3 it would become

Name) Song 1 / Song 2 / Song 3
Artist) Artist 1; artist 2, piano; artist 3, vocals; artist 4
Composer) Composer 1; Traditional, lyrics; Composer 2, music; Composer 3

I totally lose the separation of songs ... is there something to do to fix this ?

I am using the 15.3 reference version right now (as i need the larger comment box)

would changing MP3 id tagging settings fix this ? currently they are at
Tag Creation: ID3v2
ID3v2 Version v2.3
ID3v2 Text Encoding: Unicode-16
ID3v2 Allow MM DD with Year: No
ID3v2 Use Year/Date Frames: No

There are so many files to go thorough I would just Batch rip all the Flacs > mp3 to redo them all, if there was a way for me to find a fix for this.

Thanks for any help.

Spoon
12-13-2017, 03:00 PM
For mp3 the standard to separate multi item tags is '/', so:

Artist1/Artist2

(with or without spaces around / ).

dBpoweramp will show '/' for mp3 as ';' because this is a standard visual representation in dBpoweramp, if you have a flac file written as:

artist=Artist1
artist=Artist2

then it will also show 'Artist1; Artist2'.

However they are written as '/' in the actual mp3 file.